Honda 5 (4 Stroke)

robnixon

Visit site
Earlier this season (June), I purchased a new Honda 5, 4 stroke to replace my 20 year old 6hp Johnson. During my last 8 or 9 trips, I have experienced a problem with the outboard in that it will cut out at least once each trip. The last few times the engine has refused to restart until around 30 - 40 minutes later. The engine has been back to the dealer who is unable to identify the problem. The spark plug has been changed and a new fuel tank & new fuel line have been used.
Each trip, the motor will run for upto 3 hours before stopping, with little warning. I suspect this is electrical, but would welcome advice from others.
The engine is mounted inside a well inside the cockpit, but I have spoken to others who have the same setup (with the same motor), so do not belive that this is the issue.

G

it is almost certainly a case of not breathing well ie exhaust getting sucked into the carb. this either comes from the bypass up the leg or from the exhaust opening on the prop. leave the cover off the top of the well and see if it happens again. Also Honda dealers sella piece for Hunter sail boats to screw onto the leg and put the by pass gasses in the water. the reason it happens sporadically will be there is an air path from underneath when on one tack etc or sitting on the cover makes a seal
etc

JohnL

Visit site
I had same problem with Honda 5 in a well removing the cover from the engine and getting clean air to the carb. the engine would then start. good luck.JohnL.