Holy Pistons Batman

DepSol

Visit site
Just found out that I had no compression on cylinder six of my KAD43. They reckon a holed piston so have lifted engine out and will start to strip it soon. They have also ordered all the parts necessary to do the job even tho they have not stripped it, so they can start rebuilding it as soon as poss without having to wait for parts. All being well I shall be back in the water next week, with new trim tabs fitted engine rebuit and serviced and outdrive serviced.

They have also given me the fax re S/S props being fitted to KAD motors (see prev post) so my claim for a new set of props can be made from Jeanneau.

All going well I should be able to go faster and save fuel once all this gear is fitted, I will keep you posted.

Dom

coliholic

Visit site
Just don't tell 'em you've been using a fuel additive Dom. They'd probably claim that it would invalidate the warranty.<BG>

Glad to hear that they seem to have the repair process sorted and I hope all goes well for you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

DepSol

Visit site
No probs it is a Volvo and I have a letter from Volvo recommending the use of Soltron in fuel. Thanks anyway Col.

Dom

lanason

Visit site
Are you going to remane the boat
"PISTON BROKE" ?????
:))))))))

Adrian

Don't call me "Sandra"
Cleopatra - yellow hull called Court Jester. Have you seen her ?

coliholic

Visit site
Recommended? Really Dom? No wind up honest. Do Volvo RECOMMEND it then? Come on post the letter, let us all see.

Fax a copy to B1, I'm sure he won't mind 'cos he's a JOLLY GOOD CHAP, and knowing how clever he is I'm sure he can scan it onto his website so we can all see it. I'd be really intersted in seeing that as would loads of other people hereabouts.

DepSol

Visit site
Oh yeah that would go down a treat, it still wont change anybodies mind people either try it and get on with it try it and dont get on with it or dont try it at all and slag it off.

I would post it however,

1 It is in a confidential document to do with the Greek Navy
2 If I cut it from the conf doc everyone is going to give me gip like anecdotal or that doesnt prove anything.
3 It aint gonna change that many peoples minds to make it worth the hassle

I do have the doc on file and if anyone takes me out for a beer I'm sure I coud be persuaded to show them but I cannot display it on the BB, well not yet anyway there are things going on which may allow me to do so soon.

Dom

longjohnsilver

Visit site
So why did you have oil spurting out and how do they explain the holed piston. Something must have caused it, expect you'll be slightly curious to find out what!

DepSol

Visit site
I expect to know more shortly however oil could be due to sudden pressure in the system blowing the dipstick out of its hole.

Dont worry guys i'll keep you posted.

Dom

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Acidic properties of Solly

I seem to remember reading somewhere of similar problems that was attributed to solly. Apparently it contains a high sulphuric acid content which in the right (or should that be wrong?!) conditions can eat into certain metals.

Apparently the research was commissioned by the Swiss Navy but please keep this info quiet, I was told on a strictly confidential basis but thought the info was too important to keep to myself. I will post the photos of half eaten battleships in due course.

Watch this space, or at least look at some of it!!

coliholic

Visit site
Re: Acidic properties of Solly

yes seem to recall something similar from the Afghan Navy too. As you say highly acidic stuff. Have to make sure you don't get it on your hands. Wasn't there an independent study carried out by that highly nautical univeristy in West Bromwich?

longjohnsilver

Visit site

Could be, but I also recall reading a very informative and in depth report from the LSE, they thought it was all bolx!

DepSol

Visit site

LJS and Col,

Very funny, Not. Its up to you whether you want to see this doc or not I am not going to be taunted by your childish remarks :)

Dom

oldgit

Visit site
Re: Blowing the dipstick out of the hole ?

corse if you had a nice cheap to maintain under stressed petrol engine instead of a..............................

Service with a snarl.

DepSol

Visit site
Re: Blowing the dipstick out of the hole ?

yeah I'd be sending the time searching for the extra dough to run it. Or getting an LG conversion!

Other threads that may be of interest