Hole in raw water exhaust manifold!

Tim Good

Visit site
Just prepping to cross North Sea from Stavanger back to Plymouth and found some salt water in the bilge. Quite a lot of it. Then found the large connector manifold which the main engine exhaust attaches to has got a small hole in it spewing out seawater when the engine is running. Currently the hole is only about 3mm but I imagine it could get significantly larger. Photo below showing water streaming out when engine is on.

Is there a temporary fix that could be done in situ using some kind of weld putty?

To be fair I think it is best to get it off and sorted but with time limitations and Norway prices I'm hesitant.

View attachment 65568

Last edited:

knuterikt

Visit site
One thing is the water going into the bilge.. but this is a sign of internal corrosion what you don't know is if water is finding it's way into the engine.
Salt water mist finding it's way into the engine head make havoc to valves and the stuff in there.
If you can get the parts - the job is DIY.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
To use weld putty (epoxy putty) you will need to remove all the old corrosion and degrease very well and I would not trust that to last a for your proposed voyage.

What metal is the item that has the hole. It looks like cast iron to me . I would look at finding some local who can weld the material and remove the item to inspect the inside and get it welded.

Try there people

Welding Repair service AS  
Address: Finnestadjordet 14, 4029 Stavanger, Norway
Phone: +47 51 54 11 88

http://www.weldingrepairservice.no/index_eng.htm

map

https://www.google.co.za/maps/place...813748b96e42f344!8m2!3d58.9916742!4d5.6577363

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Good

Visit site
What metal is the item that has the hole. It looks like cast iron to me . I would look at finding some local who can weld the material and remove the item to inspect the inside and get it welded.

Thanks. There is no rust on it at all do I'm assuming an aluminium block but could be wrong.

Trying to get it off now but I can't budge the bolts at all. Stuck fast! Heat gun but no blow torch on board.

PowerSlapper

Visit site
File the casting flat in region of hole, drill out the hole slightly larger than the existing hole, tap the hole and fit a plug (brass?) and soft washer

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Thanks. There is no rust on it at all do I'm assuming an aluminium block but could be wrong.

Trying to get it off now but I can't budge the bolts at all. Stuck fast! Heat gun but no blow torch on board.

If its aluminium the corrosion would be worse. Some times there is no visible rust with cast iron.

IMHO a better bodge would be to drill and tap a larger hole and fit a set screw with a fiber/copper washer and loctite to seal the hole. The only problem is the unknown thickness of the material to take a tapped hole. The only way to determine that is to at least remove the hose and feel inside where the leaky hole is.

Corroded aluminium is worst that cast iron to get a good bond with any epoxy especially on your proposed trip.

knuterikt

Visit site
I'm in Oslo so not easy to help.
But I can post a link to your thread in Norwegian FB forum. Might get some help that way.
Where in Stavanger are you?

ghostlymoron

Visit site
A few years ago, we set off with a botched exhaust repair and it caused us no end of problems. Get it fixed properly or replaced before you put to sea or be prepared to not use the engine.
Welding is likely to be costly by a third party, replacement is likely to be costly but DIY. I'd go for DIY. Either way you'll have to remove it which can be laborious What engine is it?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Difficult to make out the layout from your photo but it appears that the leak is in the connection to the spiked in water, not the exhaust part(?). I suspect you will find that there is considerable internal corrosion. Whenever I have asked a welder to repair such damage in aluminium they always decline, as they finish up chasing corrosion damage over large areas. If I am correct that it is only the water inlet that is leaking I would try for a mechanical solution - tapped hole and a bolt or something similar. Of course a replacement manifold would be best but sometimes circumstances dictate otherwise.

VicS

Visit site
Just prepping to cross North Sea from Stavanger back to Plymouth and found some salt water in the bilge. Quite a lot of it. Then found the large connector manifold which the main engine exhaust attaches to has got a small hole in it spewing out seawater when the engine is running. Currently the hole is only about 3mm but I imagine it could get significantly larger. Photo below showing water streaming out when engine is on.

Is there a temporary fix that could be done in situ using some kind of weld putty?

To be fair I think it is best to get it off and sorted but with time limitations and Norway prices I'm hesitant.

]

J-B Weld may be worth a try

for this job the J-B Steelstik Epoxy Putty: http://www.jb-weld.co.uk/j-b-weld-epoxy-putty-sticks/j-b-weld-steelstik-epoxy-putty would probaby be the best choice.

But really any "repair" of this nature should only be seen as a temporary "get you home" measure.

Last edited:

Leonidas

www.leonpapazoglou.com
Fully agree with you. Not a good idea to go back top sea with such a leak. It's only going to get worst and usually at a time when you least want it to happen. It is a different matter when something like this happens at sea and you look for temporary solutions , and putting to sea with a known defect. I would suggest you soak the threads of the securing bolts with some rust removing spray and try to ease them slowly in order to avoid damaging the casting or even worst breaking the stud. As a temporary measure to stop the leak perhaps you can try to drive in some soft wood such as a few matchsticks held together? It is only a 3 mm hole and not under serious pressure. As the casting is holed, perhaps this has resulted from some sort of electrolysis or erosion due to the water flow. You can only determine this by opening up and looking inside and you can then decide whether you can repair the manifold temporarily with epoxy. However, I would imagine it will be feasible to have this part couriered to you where you are now and do a proper job of it by replacing it before you sail out.

Tim Good

Visit site
Ok managed to get this thing off and it's now down at a local engineers to be welded. Looked to be a repair on it previously. There is a threaded attachement that connects to it which was rusty and a dissimilar material. This was right by where the hole was.

It also had a metal gasket which I do not have. I have paper and cork gaskets. What do you think I can use instead?

Finally the part in my Perkins manual just calls it an Exhaust Outlet. It has a number on it reading 57765460/1 and 10194 but can't find any reference to it online.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I've a feeling that there was link on here recently to a Perkins spares supplier. You could quote the part number you think it is and also send your photo.

nemodreams

Visit site
Drill it and self tapper it - with bit of mastic on. There is no pressure there, The self tapper does not need to be even too tight. Measure the thread max dim - and drill 0.5mm under.

Bodges are always more elegant when simple !

( shame - no need for a bodge now :) )

Last edited: