Holding Tanks

whiteoaks7

www.seasolutions.co.uk
I'm planning to fit holding tanks this winter and the preferred location means a 3 metre run from toilet to tank - does anyone have any experience of tanks fitted with this length of pipework - I can think of all sorts of reasons for needing short pipes but I wonder is there are any really hard reasons that rule out the longer lengths.

peteandthira

Visit site
Apart from the need to flush loads, can't see a problem. That might dictate the size of your tank, perhaps, with extra water going in.

Pops

Evadne

Visit site
3m by (approx) 35mm diameter means that you'll need to flush an extra 3 litres through, per flush, to make sure that the "stuff" reaches the holding tank. Apart form anything else that will reduce the number of flushes that the tank will hold.

PeterGibbs

Visit site
I'm sure from your question that you already suspect the answer: muck sitting in pipes for any length of time is not going to be good news for your boat or your nose. There has to be another solution.

From a personal point of view I am also taken by the idea of a holding tank on my 38 footer. There is space etc. But when I look at the shoreside facilities, or gross lack thereof, and the difficulties in getting alongside with sufficient frequency, I pop this one back on the back burner. I suspect I am not alone - for now.

PWG

HeadMistress

Visit site
HOlding tanks should be within 6' (two meters) of the toilet because that's as far as bowl contents will move in the amount of time that 99% of people will spend pumping it...and also because that's as far as a manual toilet can push bowl contents in the dry mode. If the tank is much further from the toilet, one of two things has to happen: waste will be left to sit in the line to permeate it, or so much flush water will be required that the tank will fill up too quickly to be of much use.

Before installing a tank, I suggest you read this article on the Tek-Tanks site: http://www.tek-tanks.com/sanitation/sanitation_index.html

fluffc

Visit site
Just a thought, if it is possible to lead the pipe up immediatly behind the heads, via a siphon break, and then down towards the holding tank - then all you need to 'pump' is up to the top of the loop - the rest is sorted out by gravity.

PS - the downhill side should either be very steep or a gentle slope as there is a risk that the liquids will leave the solids behind - any groundworks engineers out there know what the correct slope is?

Evadne

Visit site
I fitted a holding tank, mostly to be more sociable when not in a marina for any length of time. It is as big as the space I had available and only empties into the sea, and is fine for two people (with no digestive ailments /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) for two nights. I figured that if I waited until someone brings in some legislation about fitting holding tanks, then there'd be all sorts of regulations and hoops to jump through, á la EU recreational craft directive, whereas for an existing tank, legislation may not be retrospective.

catmandoo

The Earth but normally in the place of the high st
Visit site
When In Santa Theresa marina off the Bonnefacio straight between Corsica and Sardinia I noticed pump out installations at the inner harbour at practically evey berth but not in use .

I dont recall having seen any others else where in the Med working or not . Seems it would be a good idea if this was provided rather than longer staying boaters having to emerge and dump in the open sea every 2 or 3 days .

Should be available 24 hours though once took a 70 ft canal boat into a marina on the Avon Ring just after 5pm at night , full holding tanks and 8 person crew bursting for leak and other important duties to find pump out closed not to open till 8am . Son got bug from dinner in Chinese restaurant and had to get up in middle of night waking whole crew which obvious results

Orla

www.yachtorla.com
Are holding tanks not a requirement for British Water Ways, EG Calidonian Canal ect ?
The boat I am in the middle of buying has two holding tanks that have been disconected. As Im going to be keeping the boat on the Caly canal should I not get them back in commission?

catmandoo

The Earth but normally in the place of the high st
Visit site
Ah but where are you going to empty them ??

You have big problem unless you use local pubs for ablutions or as hikers and campers do in the area take spade deep into the forest but mind the midges and the grouse hunters in the Autumn .
In summer you could be

roaming in the gloaming on the bonny banks alongside ,
roaming in the gloaming with a mattock by my side ,
When the sun has gone to rest ,
I will do my very best ,
Just roaming and pooing in the gloaming

HeadMistress

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just a thought, if it is possible to lead the pipe up immediatly behind the heads, via a siphon break, and then down towards the holding tank - then all you need to 'pump' is up to the top of the loop - the rest is sorted out by gravity.

PS - the downhill side should either be very steep or a gentle slope as there is a risk that the liquids will leave the solids behind - any groundworks engineers out there know what the correct slope is?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're on the right track, fluff. As long as flow is downhill, the degree of drop doesn't matter....downhill is downhill..steepness only dictates the speed at which anything flows downhill, though volume vs hose diameter gets into the equation too.

Use the dry mode to push the bowl contents over the top of the vented loop, then use the wet mode to send enough water behind the bowl contents to rinse out the hose.

ashanta

Visit site
Britishwaterways and Marina's on BW's there are many pump out stations which obviously assists in compliance!

charles_reed

Visit site
S Teresa di Gallura

is, I think, the port to which you are referring.

The pump-out stations were there and across the straits in Bonifacio until 2004, when I noticed they'd been dismantled (in Bonifacio).

To my knowledge they never were used and those were the only pump-out stations I've ever seen in the Med.

The regulations about pumping out in harbour appear to be observed more in their breach, except for diesel spills in Greek harbours which do involve a load of policemen descending like bricks on the offender.

A friend of mine (a JP as well) spent a night in a Greek jail, which nearly led to an international incident, after spilling about 20ml when refilling a charter boat. And that was in 1992.

Orla

www.yachtorla.com
Oh well then I will just have to take a very long and arduous boring trip through the great glen to the west coast and out to sea and empty them out there.
Or maybe a wee trip to the east coast, the choices the choices.
What a delema /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bilgediver

Visit site
If you plan to keep your boat in the Caly canal then you will have to meet the requirements of the Boat Safety Scheme Here details of which are available from the British Waterways web site. You will be required to have the holding tanks in service and they can be pumped out at Caley Marina and no doubt other places.

I would suggest you discuss the Boat Safety Scheme requirements with Caley Marina who can do the work or supply the bits for you to do it.

John