HMS Rame Head/ Portsmouth

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
When I left Portsmouth yesterday HMS Rame Head was on her mooring as she has been for years....This morning when I returned she was gone! Quite strange, I was motoring up the harbour trying to work out what had changed..she had been part of the scenery for such a long time.

Anyone know where she has gone, is she coming back, or is she destined to become another diving reef.

Regards Nick.

chubby

www.flickr.com
I had heard or read in the local papers that she is being replaced as a training ship by one of the old paid off landing ships, one of the Sir Galahad type. The Rame Head has been there so long it is marked on the charts by name but I think it is sad to see these laid up ships rusting away and wish the MOD would dispose of them, the Rame Head is used by the marines and SBS to practice boarding I gather, but have never seen them at it!

Judders

Visit site
IIRC she's being replaced and yes, is probably going off to be a reef somewhere. She used to do the job that HMS Brizzol now does but got to old. It's be interesting to see what'd happen if Brizzol was replaced because she's a bit big for a reef.

graham

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
the Rame Head is used by the marines and SBS to practice boarding I gather, but have never seen them at it!

[/ QUOTE ]
Shows how stealthy they are. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

capricorn

Visit site
I remember her well as a CCF cadet in the '80s, indeed moored in the same spot where Bristol is now. There was a County class destroyer who's name escapes me that had the role for a couple of years after Rame Head was taken up the creek . She was an old ship 20 years ago, must be really showing her age now.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Which was Rame head - was she the rusty Oil tanker - or fleet support vessel with no name before you get to the 2 type 42's?

We are also in Wicor so may have same problem!

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Hi Chris

Rame Head was the 'ship with no name', just upstream from the destroyers.

Which boat are you?

There are a few YBW regulars at Wicor now.

All best Nick

Giblets

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Which was Rame head - was she the rusty Oil tanker - or fleet support vessel with no name before you get to the 2 type 42's?

[/ QUOTE ]

This one:
RameHead.jpg

Giblets

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
When I left Portsmouth yesterday HMS Rame Head was on her mooring as she has been for years....This morning when I returned she was gone! Quite strange, I was motoring up the harbour trying to work out what had changed..she had been part of the scenery for such a long time.

Anyone know where she has gone

[/ QUOTE ]

Found her. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

She is hiding in the Naval Dockyard near the ferry port while dredging works are carried out near her normal berth.

Must say she looks quite strange moored along side the dock. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif