HItting the wall. Thinking about bailing out.

Dino

Visit site
I saw a similar project here in Ireland recently. A reasonably decent and usable Profile 33 went on the market in the middle of the COVID boat buying frenzy for around €30k. Recently it popped back up for sale with the interior gutted for €17500. The usual blank canvas, etc, etc.
I think the OP went way too far gutting everything. He also has very high standards in certain areas. Vinyl wrapping the navy part of the hull is expensive. A guy I know wanted to do something similar to his boat. He was quoted €900 to wrap part of the hull. A day sanding, filling and prepping and a day rolling and tipping with International Toplac and he had the same result. He watched YouTube videos to learn how to roll and tip the paint.
Have a look at Sail Life on YouTube. A Danish guy rebuilt a 38ft sailing cruiser to an incredibly high standard. He rebuilt the interior, recored the deck, retired, new engine, etc.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
The Ebay euphemism:

"I have cleared the old interior fittings and it is a blank canvas ready to be refitted in whatever style you prefer."

The translation is:

"I got carried away watching Leo Goolden, gutted the thing and have just realised how difficult yacht fitting is, I dropped a huge clanger."

Spot on.... I would also add... I have thrown a lot of stuff away before I realised how expensive it is replace............

Old Harry

Visit site
I would suggest Ebay classifieds. Describe it honestly and put up a load of photos.

The big question is does the boat include the engines ?

Without I would suggest its value is going to be very low. A pair of engines alone are going to be worth or indeed cost a decent sum on their own.
I very much doubt engines on a £7k send, but wll certainly not new ones

oldgit

Visit site
Kettles of fish ?
Spending money on property and cars can be an investment.
Property has been a no brainer in the main with some impressive returns over time in the UK and it needs some real miscalculation to get it wrong.
Any money spent on improvements/renovations should be recovered handsomely.

Cars. Not just the esoteric stuff .
With some care and thought returns can be made renovating older cars,even the most horrific antediluvian rust boxes foisted on the motorist in the 1950s to 1970s could be worth restoring plus you can hoard your "classic" in your garage at zero cost.
Boats.
Since the first dug out canoe, a rotton old boat is rotton old boat, you can throw as much money as long as you want on your beloved classic, no matter what its origins or history, just wave "Goodbye to your Cash" and keep paying the yard fees.
You or your beneficiaries will never see most of it back.
Unless you find another "Victory" "Cutty Sark"or find "The Spray" its bye bye money.

Local boatyards are full of projects. most long forgotton, the yard owners are estatic, knowing that full well the vast majority will never see the sea again but the rent keeps coming in , kept afloat by a tide of unquenchable optimism.

Last edited:

benjenbav

Visit site
Kettles of fish ?
Spending money on property and cars can be an investment.
Property has been a no brainer in the main with some impressive returns over time in the UK and it needs some real miscalculation to get it wrong.
Any money spent on improvements/renovations should be recovered handsomely.

Cars. Not just the esoteric stuff .
With some care and thought returns can be made renovating older cars,even the most horrific antediluvian rust boxes foisted on the motorist in the 1950s to 1970s could be worth restoring plus you can hoard your "classic" in your garage at zero cost.
Boats.
Since the first dug out canoe, a rotton old boat is rotton old boat, you can throw as much money as long as you want on your beloved classic, no matter what its origins or history, just wave "Goodbye to your Cash" and keep paying the yard fees.
You or your beneficiaries will never see most of it back.
Unless you find another "Victory" "Cutty Sark"or find "The Spray" its bye bye money.

Local boatyards are full of projects. most long forgotton, the yard owners are estatic, knowing that full well the vast majority will never see the sea again but the rent keeps coming in , kept afloat by a tide of unquenchable optimism.
Yes, I agree. The best that could be achieved is a 35 y/o plastic riverboat that doesn’t smell of mould. Do it for the enjoyment of doing it.

Mr Googler

Visit site
You can make good money on project boats if…..you buy it right to start with.

Do I believe that chap only spent 10k (4 of which went on teak effect)…….no. Have to remember his partner probably watched the video so add another 5-10k as is the boat maths equation for real cost vs told the wife costs ??

The killer is getting anyone else to do anything. If you do…make it super limited. When I painted the palmetto….it’s was £545 total in materials. All 2 part primers and tops, rollers, sanding discs, thinners….the lot. The stripe section on the op boat would be about £200 at a guess. I was quoted 3k to wrap.

Little savings add up fast and keep you in the black.

Some boats however are truly worthless. I wouldn’t say the princess 35 is but it’s a limited market as made from new as a river boat. Makes life easier in many regards as don’t have to worry about WOT performance! Statements like superyacht finish are worrying though. Clean, modern and practical can be achieved inexpensively if you shop about

pwa

Visit site
Hi Everybody.
As you have probably read that I’m in the progress of rebuilding my princess 35.
I’m really worried about how much project is now going to cost to complete.
I brought this boat with the plan to complete it with a cost no more than £20k.
I’m already £7k in and I haven’t done much yet.
The wife thinks I’d be better off scrapping it before I get in to deep.
I’m starting to think she’s probably right as it might be beyond economical Repair.
So here’s a couple of questions.

What’s the boat worth now in its current state considering it’s almost a shell?

What does one do. Advertise it on eBay? Facebook Marketplace?

If it was to be scrapped. How on earth do you scrap a boat of this size?

Any advise would be great.

Hi Princess35,

I'd like to get some experience/learn a bit about doing up boats with a view to possibly having a go myself one day. If you could use an enthusiastic volunteer then let me know ? Else good luck. Btw, in the past I have worked as a car mechanic and I am also a diy enthusiast.

Piers

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Not a new phenomenon , the forum has observed some really enthusiastic posters ,who then ricochet off onto to the golf course or needlepoint when presented with the quicksand of boating.
Only the strong or the incorrigible stay the course in boating ?

I wonder if the guy who bought the Speed boat and the tow car in who had the massive thread ever went out in the boat during the best summer I have ever known

As you say only the strong and mad survive

Cheery

Visit site
What happened to the guy who was converting a 'ship' in Sweden and had plans for a rib to go across the North Sea or some other ridiculous distance.