Hiring an RYA instructor for training while transferring the boat?

TheSicilian

Visit site
Hi,

this is to check whether it is nonsense or doable...
I am preparing for the Yachtmaster Offshore and having my own boat to transfer for about 500 miles, I was wondering if it could be feasible to hire an Instructor that would come along and do some training while transfering the boat.

The boat is a Jeanneau SF37, currently in Sicily, Italy and to be transferred to the north Tyrrenian sea.

I've found several instruxtors not associated to RYA, but do you think I could find an RYA one?

thanks in advance!

lustyd

Visit site
Just bear in mind that a delivery trip doesn't prepare you for the exam very much so if it's prep, keep them on board for a while before/after so you can practice the required skills for the test. Nobody is going to want to do MOB drills or sailing onto anchor 3 days into a delivery!

Obviously you could turn it into a cruise with stops, just make sure you're clear whether it's delivery or training/cruise

TheSicilian

Visit site
Just bear in mind that a delivery trip doesn't prepare you for the exam very much so if it's prep, keep them on board for a while before/after so you can practice the required skills for the test. Nobody is going to want to do MOB drills or sailing onto anchor 3 days into a delivery!

Obviously you could turn it into a cruise with stops, just make sure you're clear whether it's delivery or training/cruise
Thanks for the advice, of course I would go for some additional prep course before the exam, I agree I cannot practice much things that require stopping during a transfer.
Since I need to do this trasfer and I cannot do it alone I was thinking to use it to also review together passage planning etc at the same time.
Let's see what I get posting on the FB group!

lustyd

Visit site
Agree if you need crew then an instructor will be more helpful anyway so makes sense. I'm sure you'd get value out of it

Eccles

Visit site
Halcyon Yachts offer an RYA Instructor as a delivery skipper. I used them to assist with a delivery from Gibraltar to Jersey but in the end decided not to have an instructor (extra cost) as I thought a Biscay crossing might be stressful enough without the pressure of trying to absorb knowledge at the same time.

capnsensible

Visit site
Agree if you need crew then an instructor will be more helpful anyway so makes sense. I'm sure you'd get value out of it
Yup. I've taught a lot of stuff during deliveries including theory courses once people get their sea legs. Makes an otherwise dull delivery much more interesting.

MOB practice in Biscay or on a rolly Atlantic is best conducted with a danbuoy!