High Power LED torches

G12

Visit site
Hi chaps,

The time has come to replace my rather ancient torches aboard. There are many small ones available to buy and for jobs on deck/below etc I'm sure most of them are fine. I do however need to replace the searchlight which is currently a rechargeable type and I'm after a recommendation from anyone who's got something properly powerful, rechargeable and waterproof that they'd recommend.

ctva

Visit site
If you've disregarded the small ones, how many lumens do you need? What range?

I have these which I got a few years ago for less than £2 posted from China which have replaced most others apart from a Lenser P7.

Aeolus

Visit site
I have an largish and very powerful LED torch (bought from Maplins yonks ago) that takes non-rechargeable batteries. I prefer that as I have found that devices with rechargeable batteries tend to lose power quite quickly over time and I wanted a torch that would work on the relatively rare occasions that I need it. I have a set of spares batteries on board so minimal risk that I'll be left in the dark.

G12

Visit site
Why do you need a high powered torch? They seriously mess up night vision.

It's to replace my searchlight.
I have normal torches and small red led head torches for the night vision sensitive stuff but if I'm picking my way into an unlit river and dodging moorings I require something with some grunt and range.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I keep a high-powered one on board to use in the same way that you would use a white flare: alternating between shining at the other vessel and lighting up my own sails.

And for staggering back from the pub.
Remind me what area you sail in as I don't want my night vision ruined for 20 minutes! Accidents happen that way.

We leave the anchor light on to guide us over the water back from the pub.

Boathook

Visit site
Reactions: G12

jwilson

Visit site
Most new rechargeable torches use USB charger connections, which are a very weak point re waterproofing. Usuall;y just a flimsy rubber cap that can get broken to keep the water out. Also as others have said rechargeable batteries often lose capacity over time, and when they die they just stop working. I now use dry battery torches, and carry spare batteries.

Reactions: G12

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
i work the beaches in the dark bait digging and have tried lots of torches . The best ones i have found are olight head torches as they have a nice spread on the beam and last on full power for over 2 hours on a single 18650 battery.

Gixer

Visit site
The most dependable torch I’ve ever used is the Lenser P7. Comes with a nice belt pouch, small enough to fit in your pocket, light enough to hold in your mouth, never felt I need more power. I have two and one did a three story dive onto concrete, couldn’t tell you which one that was.

Supine Being

Visit site
Remind me what area you sail in as I don't want my night vision ruined for 20 minutes! Accidents happen that way.

We leave the anchor light on to guide us over the water back from the pub.

I've never had to use it and, unless you're the skipper of a ship, I wouldn't expect to use it on you. You do know what white flares are used for, right? Better to have it and not need it than the other way around, but I don't require lectures on night vision, thanks.

The anchor light wouldn't be much use to me on the muddy path back to the marina.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I've never had to use it and, unless you're the skipper of a ship, I wouldn't expect to use it on you. You do know what white flares are used for, right? Better to have it and not need it than the other way around, but I don't require lectures on night vision, thanks.

The anchor light wouldn't be much use to me on the muddy path back to the marina.
I hope I know what white flares are for, I've used enough of them in a different context!

Having spent five years in a Mountain Rescue Team I spend a lot of time on the hill at night and found that I could see more with the headlamp off. Always switched on with dealing with a casualty, but that task was very different.

I struggle to understand why anybody needs a bright torch to illuminate their sails, unless they have not been keeping watch properly.