Here we go. just took 4ish hours to get these on

Will33

www.farnellclarke.co.uk
Re: 2,000 hp on tap - a smuggler\'s dream ship......

The boats were made by Cromton Marine in Lowestoft. The 12.5m RIBS they built sold for in the region of £250,000 and were capable of speeds in excess of 70mph, and the Directors are now in court and the boats have a had a fair amount of publicity in the national press!!

Anyone want some 12.5m moulds ?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Nice pics but what is such a boat used for? And why so many outboards when a pair of large inboards are surely much easier to manage, maintain and run? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif As Fr Dougal would say "it's all a bit mad - what's it all about Ted?"

Bergman

Visit site
Re: 2,000 hp on tap - a smuggler\'s dream ship

Multiple redundancy.

Lose 2 or 3 engines to machine gun fire and keeps going

Has no-one told these smug drugglers about carbon footprints?

Nautorius

Visit site

Paul,

They are up for money laundering primarily, and drug charges secondary. Apparently they had £2.5m hidden literally under a bed. The boats were only produced and sold for drug running from Morocco to Spain.

Cheers

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Will33

www.farnellclarke.co.uk

Supply of the equipment for illegal purposes as well as handling illicit proceeds topped off i believe with Tax evasion!!!!

Will

Canboria

Visit site
One of the ways that the police and coastguards stop these boats is to shoot out the engine's, more engine's more chance of not getting stopped, the way the smugglers try to stop being shot at is for some of the hired crew to lay over the engine's to stop the police shooting, ribs with outboards give more room for the cargo, large inboards cut down the useable space.

You may remember a recent post from our very own Suncoast regarding a similar rib being towed into his marina in Spain by the local plod.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Does Bridgit_mary know who's boat this is or where the pic was taken? If they are hard to stop, why don't the Navy or Police use a SSM guided missile to take it out?

D3B

www.cutting-solutions.co.uk
Er
Brigid_mary started another post but the pic didnt appear.
so re-done it here.
the pics are taken in Lowestoft i believe and he did the delivery to Ipswich...unless i misread the other post.
checked the pics and definitely in Lowestoft Haven Marina

fine delivery skipper is our brigid_mary....took a cat from N Wales to Soton in F8's around Lands End.

Bajansailor

Visit site
"One of the ways that the police and coastguards stop these boats is to shoot out the engine's, more engine's more chance of not getting stopped, the way the smugglers try to stop being shot at is for some of the hired crew to lay over the engine's to stop the police shooting, ribs with outboards give more room for the cargo, large inboards cut down the useable space".
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Vincy lads who man the Pirogues and Cigarettes bringing ganja up to Barbados are savvy enough to know that this wont cut much ice with the Coastguard here, re the crew acting as human shields over the outboards - our Coastguard lads will happily take out an engine or two regardless of whom is draped over it...... a mate of mine lives on the west coast (ie the leeward side of the island, facing St Vincent 100 miles west) and he regularly sees gun battles at sea at night.

Occasionally there is a big bang if they happen to hit the fuel tank - this saves a lot of trouble for the Coastguard, as then they dont have to worry about towing the boat in, arresting the crew, confiscating the cargo, going to the court case a couple of years later.....

The Cigarette crews make sure that they have rolled a good supply of reefers to last them for the long haul to windward - I suspect that by the time they get up here they are a bit more mellow than they might otherwise be, which is probably a good idea - when the bullets start flying around your ears, best thing to do is duck down behind the gunwhales and try to scarper, while hoping that the lads with the machine guns are not very good shots re fuel tanks....

pennycar9

Visit site

There is no law been broken for building these boats. I think the problem came when the revenue men raided the houses and found in excess of 1.4 million in cash. Now that smells of at best money laundering, or maybe tax evasion or even the proceeds of the trade being plyed whatever my guess is they will be well and truelly stuffed.