Henley Festival

davidjwave

Visit site
Recently went to Henley Festival - and saw a lot of boats moored up - since read the discussions on mooring on the booms from like 10 years ago and the subsequent £300 mooring fee to moor at Henley Festival...

My questions are if any one knows:

- Can you moor to drop off and then leave?
- After the fireworks all the boats leave .... but where do they go - I wouldnt fancy navigating too far in the dark do they moor overnight nearby - if so where?
- Does everyone pay the mooring fee - or simply chance their arm by getting there early?

Same sort of questions regarding the regatta - i always see lots of boats back and forth just wonder if the logistics and hassle is worth the view???

Thanks for advice - as i'm thinking about going there next year on the water ;)

oldgit

Visit site
On leaving most locks prefer to pull over and let the lock chamber to lock chamber GP commence without somebody trying to park their boat on my swim platform, frequently overtaken by ducks/swans/seagulls/ narrow boats and even walkers on the footpath.
Have only ever been shouted at once by some jolly chap while on the Thames and told to slow down.
Believe it or not, twas at Henley, there appeared to be meeting of Range Rover owners going on ashore at the time ?

Chris_d

Visit site
Not sure which question OG is answering but I can answer the festival question.
You have to pre book the bankside moorings and dropping off is not allowed and there is security, I presume you mean on the Festival site and not Fawley meadows opposite which are also pre-booked.

Most boats are local and dayboat types they will depart in a mad scramble for the locks and their home moorings most at Wargrave and Shiplake, some are left in Henley on the park and various other places nearby.
It is fantastic event and well worth attending by boat if you can.

davidjwave

Visit site
Not sure which question OG is answering but I can answer the festival question.
You have to pre book the bankside moorings and dropping off is not allowed and there is security, I presume you mean on the Festival site and not Fawley meadows opposite which are also pre-booked.

Most boats are local and dayboat types they will depart in a mad scramble for the locks and their home moorings most at Wargrave and Shiplake, some are left in Henley on the park and various other places nearby.
It is fantastic event and well worth attending by boat if you can.
Thanks Chris - yes i saw after the fireworks ended there was a mass departure!! I will have a look at the bankside moorings and then maybe alsy Fawley meadows as well

jct1981

Visit site
A bit of a thread drift, but we were on the booms this year (on the inner boom, not the main one) and made this timelapse of Saturday night procession. It's more fun to watch the controlled chaos in person, but gives an idea of what goes on.

davidjwave

Visit site
A bit of a thread drift, but we were on the booms this year (on the inner boom, not the main one) and made this timelapse of Saturday night procession. It's more fun to watch the controlled chaos in person, but gives an idea of what goes on.

That looks great - and with the booms do you have to book those as well now? And did you stay overnight - sorry for all the questions just trying to get my head around the logistics of it. I wouldnt want to go and get stranded!!

jct1981

Visit site
That looks great - and with the booms do you have to book those as well now? And did you stay overnight - sorry for all the questions just trying to get my head around the logistics of it. I wouldnt want to go and get stranded!!
First come first served with the booms - many people arrive the Sunday afternoon / evening of the previous weekend, as soon as racing at the regatta finishes. No booking, and you allowed to raft up 2 abreast (might be 3, but I think it's 2). We only arrived Sat morning, so not in prime position, but could hear very clearly - close enough we didn't bother to take the dingy closer.
I believe you have to always have someone on the boat when on the booms. Dingy is pretty essential if you need food/collect guests etc.

Attachments

• 20230709_114700440_iOS conv.jpeg
    20230709_114700440_iOS conv.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18

Pump-Out

Visit site
Does this help?

Hambleden Reach Monday 3 July to Sunday 9 July 2022
Henley Music Festival
Directions for navigation and mooring during this event:

Those in charge of all boats in the vicinity of this event must conform with these directions and with any special directions which, at the discretion of a Harbour Master, may be required in particular circumstances during these dates.

• All boats travelling downstream must be navigated within the regatta course and all boats travelling upstream must be navigated on the Bucks bank/Fawley side of the river. Except from 7am to 6pm on Friday 7 and Saturday 8 July and 8am to 4:30pm on Sunday 9 July (when the navigation channel for all river traffic will be on the Bucks Bank/Fawley side of the river).
• Boats can cross the course from one side of the river to the other provided that in doing so they do not impede any other boats.
• At no time may any boats be moored within the regatta course, to the bank in the area known as The Narrows, or to the adjacent regatta course booms.
• Boats may moor to the booms on the Bucks bank/Fawley side of the regatta course provided no more than two boats lie alongside each other and no mooring lines are attached to any course pile. Cabin boats wishing to moor to enjoy Henley Festival must not moor to the booms until after the end of the Henley Royal Regatta Prize Giving Ceremony on the afternoon of Sunday 2 July.
• No boat can be left unattended to the regatta course booms, piles or boxes at any time.
• All boats, including unpowered boats, must display the required navigation lights when navigating after sunset and before sunrise.
• Additional directions for mooring may be given by Navigation Officers as required.

Furthermore, we hereby advise that the regatta course including all of the piles, booms and boxes are the property of Henley Royal Regatta. The Regatta may choose to take civil action against any person who causes damage to their structures.It is an offence to fail to conform with the directions in this notice or to obstruct an officer of the Environment Agency in the execution of their duty or to fail to obey directions given regarding the navigation, mooring or unmooring of any boat.

Mark Hill
Harbour Master
20 June 2023

Pump-Out

Visit site
Mooring on the Festival site itself is controlled by The Festival Box Office. You will only be allocated a berth if you hold tickets for each and every person aboard (other than paid crew, who must not disembark).

Mooring on Fawley Meadows is controlled by Hobbs - who send a bod down to inspect and check stuff every evening - book via Hobbs as far in advance as your cashflow will allow, as the slots get sold pretty quickly.

Chris_d

Visit site
Is this good time to ask what financial contribution the organisers of the event make towards the costs of the EA.
Who cares there are a lot more boats on the river around Henley because of this event and regatta, rewind etc... so EA gets more income.

CapPugwash

Visit site
We're moored at the medows right now. £60 for the week. Make sure you pay online though, as they have a car park enformcment company chaseing you for payment now. A chap up from us was fined £150.

Pump-Out

Visit site
We're moored at the medows right now. £60 for the week. Make sure you pay online though, as they have a car park enformcment company chaseing you for payment now. A chap up from us was fined £150.
Is that not Mill Meadows, the bit owned by the council? As opposed to Fawley Meadows which is owned by the Royal Regatta? The latter is managed on behalf of HRR by Hobbs, I'm sure of it.

zimbo

Visit site
Mooring on the Festival site itself is controlled by The Festival Box Office. You will only be allocated a berth if you hold tickets for each and every person aboard (other than paid crew, who must not disembark).
Those moorings are difficult to get, always over-subscribed I believe. A friend was moored there on Saturday night and invited me onboard after the concert, and I asked him about it. He is also a "Friend" of the Festival which gives "Priority reservations for restaurants and moorings". But you get no choice where the mooring will be. Last year he was right next to the stage, this year right at the other end of the mooring section.