Help! - - want to change fuel filter.

Ship's Cat 73

Visit site
It's a Volvo MD5A and it's the fine filter that needs changed.
I've never done this before (just learning about marine diesels) and just want to know what to look out for.
The photo shows the filter (at least the best view I could get in the very restriced space).
Is the hex headed bolt above the circled slotted screw the only one that has to be loosened/removed in order for the filter housing to be removed?
I assume the housing will be full of diesel as it comes off.
Also, what should I be looking out for when re-assembling?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Filter 1 - 1.jpg

VicS

Visit site
This link shows the filter assembly you have, and all the parts

MD5A Fuel Filter - marine diesel engines

The owners manual describes the basic procedure:

1701345228319.png

Clean up thoroughly before you start... you don't want any muck or flaking paint to get into the fuel system

The central bolt (#6) on the top is the one you need to undo.... the screw you have ringed is the bleed screw

Yes it will be full of fuel but enclosing in a stout plastic bag should prevent spillage + plenty of absorbent rag underneath in case of mishaps.

Remove the old gasket ring (#5) ( using a bradawl or small screwdriver) take care to fit the new gasket correctly.

Probably worth annealing the washer (#7) under the head of the bolt, assuming it's a plain copper washer, otherwise renew.

Last edited:

Ship's Cat 73

Visit site
Thanks VicS for your reply.

The diagram and the link you included were helpful. (I like to know what 'lurks beneath' before I start dismantling things!)

In the diagram, the bleed screw (No 10) is shown as hex head but ours is a rather chewed up slot-headed screw -- I assume it's a metric thread . . . . what size of thread is it? (6mm or 8mm?)

Can you say what is the function of the hex headed screw on top - shown as No 8 in the photo below.

Thanks in advance.

Fuel Filter exploded - 2.jpg

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks VicS for your reply.

The diagram and the link you included were helpful. (I like to know what 'lurks beneath' before I start dismantling things!)

In the diagram, the bleed screw (No 10) is shown as hex head but ours is a rather chewed up slot-headed screw -- I assume it's a metric thread . . . . what size of thread is it? (6mm or 8mm?)

Can you say what is the function of the hex headed screw on top - shown as No 8 in the photo below.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 168474
8 is a bleed screw, use that in preference to the slotted screw.

Ship's Cat 73

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments.

Have been back on the boat and removed the filter. It's shown (top & bottom views) in the attached photo alongside a Mann filter.

I used the filter part no (870065) to do a Google search and the MANN P 715 came up consistently.

As there are some visual differences between the MANN and the present filter I'd just like to know (if possible) that the P 715 is the correct one.

Filters 3.jpg

VicS

Visit site
The Mann filter catalogue shows P715 as equivalent to VP 870065.

You could also look at Inline filters. £5.92 for the Mann filter. £5.62 for their own brand

The screw #8 blanks off a port which is not used by the MD5A . It may not be a proper bleed screw but maybe could be used as such. Anneal the washer or renew as appropriate.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The Mann filter catalogue shows P715 as equivalent to VP 870065.

You could also look at Inline filters. £5.92 for the Mann filter. £5.62 for their own brand

The screw #8 blanks off a port which is not used by the MD5A . It may not be a proper bleed screw but maybe could be used as such. Anneal the washer or renew as appropriate.
It can be used as a bleed screw, that's why i said it could.