HELP, St Philipsburg, St Maarten, Pilotage , Waypoints

PaulC

Visit site
Hi, can anyone help my son. He has neared an atlantic crossing position 18N 57w, speed 4.5 kts. He has rig damage and is planning to enter St Philipsburg ETA around midnight on Saturday. His original destination was St Thomas but due to damage is having to enter St Maarten. Problem is that he has no charts for St Maarten and a night entry would be very hazardous. Can anyone provide waypoints, pilotage info, lights , bouys, transits etc, to enable a safe passage. He has a sat phone so I can text this info to him. Any help appreciated.Thanks

TigaWave

www.H4marine.com
Are you serious? can't he slow down/stop heave to and wait for an am entry. That would be the only advice I would offer, even with charts in front of me. One small piece of human error in tránscribing a waypoint and hes on his own with no chart! I hope he has a safe arrival in daylight.

Blueboatman

Visit site
Re: OK -

I have actually done exactly this-didn't even bother with the engine-at the end of a crossing .Perfectly safe in an 'unseamanlike sort of way'so if the conditions are ideal and there is every prospect of blustery breezes and tiredness and less fuel reserve by standing off I would say,based on my own approach,go for it:
I expect that he has on board a copy of the Atlantic Crossing Guide(RCC),which has an outline map showing St Maartin but without lat/long-doh!(copy these from his small scale Atlantic chart just as I did!).There are no offlying dangers to the south of St Maartin unless he strays at least 3 miles,where there are large islets,silhouetted especially as there is a full moon now... but the east shore of St Maartin is reef bound, a no no,as is the northern end approach.
Apart from that it is just a case of locating and identifying St Maartin,coming in on or about 270 at the south of the island as close to as you like,with an eye on the echosounder of course, and turning sharp north once past the cruiseship dock at the mouth of Great Bay(in fact most nights there is a cruise ship moored,complete with all the lights on).
He could also vhf any of the hundreds of yotties who will be anchored in Great Bay,all of whom usually have nice fast rib dinghies.
Hope that helps.

snowleopard

Visit site
I have emailed PaulC some chart scans plus the following pilotage plan. I'd appreciate it if anyone in a position to do so would check my workings in case of typos or senior moments!

Approach to St Maarten from 18N 57w

The approach should be along the 18°N line of latitude. There is safe water 1m south and 1/2m north of track until within 1m of the island.

Unlit outliers of St Barths lie south of the track along a line from 17°56.5'N 62°49.3'W to 17°58.5'N 62°55.6'W
Approaching St Maarten, there are unlit rocks at 18°00.5'N 63°00.4'W. Do not pass to the north of these as there are other rocks between there and the island.
The Southern tip of the islands is Pt Blanche at 18°00.3N 63°02.3'w
There is a reef with isolated danger mark (Fl(2) 10s) at 17°59.4'N 63°03.6'W

Continue to waypoint off Philipsburg at 18°00.0'N 63°03.5'W then turn WNW towards Simpson bay 18°01.2'N 63°06'W
On arrival at the waypoint Simpson bay is open on your stbd bow. You will find a lot of yachts at anchor in the bay. Many will be unlit but against a background of shore lights they will be easy to see.
The W side of the bay has 2 large hotels and the most sheltered part of the anchorage between them. There is a reef extending W 1/3 of a mile in front of the southern hotel But it is visible above the surface

There is a regular VHF net for cruisers at 0730 local time on Ch 14 If in need of help there are always cruisers listening on Ch 14 during the day.

The lifting bridge opens at 0900, 1100 & 1730 though these may have changed. Call Simpson Bay YC on Ch 16/79 or Island Water World on Ch 74 for an update.

PaulC

Visit site
Thank you all for your advice and help, very much appreciated. I will pass this info on to my son. I will let you know when he has safely arrived.

ashanta

Visit site
He could anchor in Simpsons bay. Got the choice of going into the lagoon for repairs or going around the bay to Philipsburg round the corner.

PaulC

Visit site
My sons current position is aprox 48nm from St Maarten, slow progress at the end due to very light headwinds. He has advised that they are almost out of fuel, but plugging on to St Maarten. Wind is N 4mph at present so late tonight entry maybe.

PaulC

Visit site
Hi All,
My son arrived in Petersburg, St Maarten this morning @ 0930. Thank you to everyone who responded to my call for help and advice especially SnowLepoard ( Chris ). He will now fuel up and repair ready for the final passage to St Thomas. Hopefully back in the UK next weekend. Thank you again Everyone...Paul C.