Help please.

Back in the bilges.

Visit site
Despite being new to this forum I do have experience in sailing from years gone by but family and work interrupted all that and finally am able to consider returning.

I find myself at a crossroads wondering whether to go for something that needs a “bit” of work (after someone confirms this) or a ready to go package. 25-30 foot and able to do the odd overnight stay. I’m semi capable with woodworking but am shying to the side of GRP. I don’t mind a bit of work to get going and have no issues doing maintenance to keep on top of stuff.
I’m looking in an ideal world with rose tinted spectacles on for something like

Headturning classic yacht-Buchanan27 | eBay

Pro’s and cons welcomed please.

Rappey

Visit site
Do you enjoy working on boats? some do and love a good challenging project.. Others lack the skills and would probably be better off buying a ready to go boat.
If your good at woodwork and good with engines then there cant be much on a boat that you cant tackle yourself .

DownWest

Visit site
Referring to your other posts, There are a couple of Albin Ballards on sale. Very capable coastal cruisers, sometimes further. One, sounds ready to go for 7.5K Lot better than spending a heap of time and money on a 'cheaper' boat.
Friends have one, had it for many years. Then bought a Swan, much bigger, for further cruising. But still keep the Ballard for easy local stuff. Can see it, on the mooring, from their house...That helps...

cherod

Visit site
Despite being new to this forum I do have experience in sailing from years gone by but family and work interrupted all that and finally am able to consider returning.

I find myself at a crossroads wondering whether to go for something that needs a “bit” of work (after someone confirms this) or a ready to go package. 25-30 foot and able to do the odd overnight stay. I’m semi capable with woodworking but am shying to the side of GRP. I don’t mind a bit of work to get going and have no issues doing maintenance to keep on top of stuff.
I’m looking in an ideal world with rose tinted spectacles on for something like

Headturning classic yacht-Buchanan27 | eBay

Pro’s and cons welcomed please.
I wont advise on what sort of boat to buy , just to say dont be afraid of GRP , if you can wall paper then you can fibre glass

Back in the bilges.

Visit site
I do kind of like that idea with a wooden boat. I don’t want to be the one that lets it down though through lack of skill or money.
That’s why I’m starting to think about GRP.

Back in the bilges.

Visit site
Hi, I live on Lancs/Cumbria border but work takes me all over the place. Got potential for either Lake District or maybe further west towards the coast if I do get a boat. Quite like the idea of maybe getting a mooring at Glasson Dock and getting out on the Lune when I’m brave enough.

Tranona

Visit site
If it is sound, that method of construction is far less trouble than a traditionally built wooden boat of similar age and type, but if it does need work is more difficult to repair properly. Very few people have the skills and experience to work on it, nor even to give a good opinion on its condition. On the plus side it seems to have good gear and the designer is well known for good sailing characteristics, but will be short on space down below.. The engine is an oddity, although basically reliable if a bit agricultural by today's standards.

Realistically almost any boat of this size, age, type, price will likely need more work than sailing just to keep up to scratch. This in itself can be rewarding and even if you do less sailing, what you do is enhanced knowing you have a really distinctive boat.

Just seen your location. Add £2k+ to what you pay for it to get it where you want it. Just going through the same process as have bought in Wales and I am in Poole. Boat is a a bit bigger and heavier than this one, but transport and handling either end will be over £2k. I knew this in advance, but I was after a very specific boat and overall I am OK with the total cost of buying it and getting it to Poole. If you just want a functioning boat, don't get hung up on specific types, but go on condition, kit and location. I know that will probably limit your choice where you are compared with the south, but shifting cheap boats around the country is an expensive game.

Last edited:

Back in the bilges.

Visit site
Thanks mate, I appreciate the warts and all approach. I’ve got a mate who may be able to help with transport but the boat was an example of what I’m looking for. I think that transport costs may be the deal breaker with that one.

Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated

DownWest

Visit site
I sailed on a friend's 36ft one off cold moulded boat , several trips Portugal to Gib. The only time he had hull problems was when a stainless fresh water tank seeped and started some rot from the inside. It was a bit of work, but not complicated.
He then put an Aries on the transom and single handed to Rio... Builder was John Wright of Penryn, day job was Dutchy Pine Kitchens, but a serial 'offender' with boats. His one after 'Woodwind' was an S&S 34....also cold moulded.