Help no DC power

mcanderson

Visit site
Hello,

We arrived on the boat last night to find the DC circuit completely dead. The battery charger (Quick SNC 501) is also dead. If I remove AC power from the charger and then turn it back on it flickers briefly to life then nothing. Flashing E6 code which in the manual is Error indications reserved for future expansions. So not helpful.

So we have no lights, no fridges no water pressure.

Any ideas before I just try buying a new charger.

jrudge

Visit site
I would call them when they open and then expect to bite the bullet.

If a 12v boat a charger from a local car accessory shop will get a few things working whilst you source and fit a new one.

You should have isloated engine batteries so they should also be able to start the engines to get some power going. Then start the generator.

mparrish

Visit site
Hello,

We arrived on the boat last night to find the DC circuit completely dead. The battery charger (Quick SNC 501) is also dead. If I remove AC power from the charger and then turn it back on it flickers briefly to life then nothing. Flashing E6 code which in the manual is Error indications reserved for future expansions. So not helpful.

So we have no lights, no fridges no water pressure.

Any ideas before I just try buying a new charger.
We had exactly the same error code on our Quick charger (same boat as you if you remember, but not HT). We binned the charger and fitted a Sterling one and all was well. It does sound like your batteries may have died also as ours still had life in them and we were able to use 12v. Hope it's an easy fix.
M

Greg2

Visit site
Sound like it might possibly be two issues - battery charger is shot but that shouldn’t mean that the batteries go dead - that is likely to be a different problem - they should hold their charge but will deplete if there is a current drain. Were the isolators off when you left the boat?

mcanderson

Visit site
Okay, as ever thanks everyone for the help. Whilst waiting for the Marine Electricians to open, still waiting, I called Quick and spoke to an Italian with Excellent English. He said E6 code is a fan fault. Try cleaning around the fan input screen and see if the fan turns.

This I did and everything is now working 100%. As we leave the fridges on and therefore the shore power and charger the batteries had completely drained. They are now charging and I will see if they hold a charge after a day of charging.

I will also now buy a new charger and replace the quick unit, just in case and keep the quick as a spare.

mparrish - can you remember what model you bought? Probably going to be cheaper to buy in the U.K. than here on the SofF.

mparrish

Visit site
Okay, as ever thanks everyone for the help. Whilst waiting for the Marine Electricians to open, still waiting, I called Quick and spoke to an Italian with Excellent English. He said E6 code is a fan fault. Try cleaning around the fan input screen and see if the fan turns.

This I did and everything is now working 100%. As we leave the fridges on and therefore the shore power and charger the batteries had completely drained. They are now charging and I will see if they hold a charge after a day of charging.

I will also now buy a new charger and replace the quick unit, just in case and keep the quick as a spare.

mparrish - can you remember what model you bought? Probably going to be cheaper to buy in the U.K. than here on the SofF.
Pretty sure it was a Sterling Pro Charge Ultra 12v 60amp unit - been fine for the last 6 years, although if I did it again (with hindsight !) I'd probably look at a Victron unit as an alternative as we've subsequently been adding other electrical components (new generator and some solar capability).
M

Momac

Visit site
In my case the fridge is dual voltage. I can isolate the fridge from the 12V when on shore power . So if the boat on shore power and is left with the fridge on and there is a power cut the fridge will not draw power from the batteries. But, of course, depending on the duratio nof the power cut the beer may not be chilled.

A modern charger may refuse to charge a completely dead battery. I would say in the OP's case new batteries are highly likely to be required.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Pretty sure it was a Sterling Pro Charge Ultra 12v 60amp unit - been fine for the last 6 years, although if I did it again (with hindsight !) I'd probably look at a Victron unit as an alternative as we've subsequently been adding other electrical components (new generator and some solar capability).
M

I would definitely get a Victron.

Hurricane

Visit site
It is for this reason I never leave anything 24v on - the odds of a power outage and flat batteries is too high.

Hope they charge ok and good to know the tech was able to help you
Agreed
Even with solar panels on all the time, I always leave the boat with all the DC systems switched off.

I'm afraid that it is almost certain that the OP's batteries are dead.
Take a 12v battery down to 10v and thats enough to kill it.
Below that is a certainty.

nortada

Visit site
From previous posts, understand you are overseas but for those in the UK, Amazon could be their friend, Amazon carry a wide range of sophisticated 12/24v pulse battery chargers that can recover a partly knackered battery, at least in the short term; next day delivery can provide a relatively cheap, short-term solution.

Living on a swinging mooring, a power cruiser, we also carry a 2.1KVA petrol/ electric generator.

Additionally we carry a jump start battery pack and a battery tester. Don’t need to use them very often but a life saver when we do.

Last edited:

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Worth mentioning as I don’t think it’s been said anywhere in the thread that a charger will generally need to see batteries capable of taking a charge before they will kick in. If your batteries are discharged to the point where they’re significantly under 12 / 24 volts then this will need correcting first.

In an emergency situation you may be able to piggy back a healthy battery onto the dead battery to establish 12 / 24 volts again. Some boats have a link button to join domestic and engine batteries but if one bank is completely flat this might not work as there‘s insufficient current to energise the solenoid.