HELP! Newcomer to sailing

G

Hi all,
I'm thinking of buying my first boat/ yacht. However as a complete novice i wondered whether i should go for a classic wood construction or fibreglass. I like the idea of a "classic " vessel but will the care and maintenance be beyond me?
Any advice on what to buy/ look for gratefully recieved!
Oh and i'm looking at between 25-35ft

KrisHansen

Visit site
I'm in a very similar situation - I have always preferred the aesthetics of classic wooden vessels, but in reality the maintenance and expenditure required are enormous. It's also dependent on how you intend to sail - shorthanded sailing is sometimes more difficult on older boats, usually those built for two or three-handed command.

Also, they will inevitably need more consideration where maintenance is concerned, but if you buy a good example, you should be able to pick up the skills necessary to carry out the fundemental routines.

I've opted for a modern, GRP cruiser, mainly because my girlfriend will not step onto anything without a shower and a half-decent heads, and doesn't really partake in the sailing of the yacht, which means autopilot and cockpit control lines are essential for someone with my limited experience.

- Kris Hansen

iainmillett

Visit site
Most definitely GRP and buy The Good Yacht Guide - available in decent chandleries or from The Marine Bureau in Tenterden, Kent 01797 270181.

Also buy a report on your final list from PBO; take the partner/wife to see your final selections and then test sail.

I've made errors NOT following all this process through in the past.

G

Have a look at the rather long thread on July 11th started by Theo titled 'Timber yachts vs fibreglass '

Short answer is FIBREGLASS until you decide to go to timber in 20 years time for emotional reasons only.

Cheers

jfkal

Visit site
GRP. Unless you have 1. Lot's of money. 2. Lot's of time or 3. Better both combined with patience and elbow grease. I rather admire those wooden boats others own in the Marina and go sailing instead.

lezgar

Visit site
two years ago I bought my first sailing boat. I choose a GRP 7 meters bilge keel with diesel inboard engine from 1989 and I am very happy with her.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Middle road

There are plently of slightly older GRP boats around with lots of timber trim. There are also boats with GRP hulls and wooden decks. They might satisfy your aesthetic sensibilities, while remaining essentially easier-to-own than 100% tree-wood. Without knowing your budget it's hard to make suggestions as to specific models, but look for '60 and '70's built boats.

G

thanks

Just a quick thankyou to all of you who replied to my posting. I have taken onboard ( oh pun!) all you have said.

Firstly i'm going to enrol at my local sailing school and learn as much as i can. Then i think i will go for a smaller, GRP boat, to begin with! Yes, i like the asthetic qualities of wood but hey, i want to sail lots and i think GRP is the best to learn on.
Mind you the last posting on GRP and wood crafts sounds interesting!! Off to check them out!
Thanks again everyone
brian

ChrisJ

Visit site
Re: thanks

There are also traditional designs in fibreglass. Look for Norfolk Gypsey or Cornish Crabbers or equivalents.

These often have traditional sail plans with modern hulls, or GRP hulls with lots of wood etc.

Cheers, Chris