Help Needed! Replacing carpets in my Boat

adamanderson

Visit site
Hi,

This is just really a quick question to anyone who has had there carpets replaced in there boat.

How hard did you find it to find someone to do the job for you?

How much did it cost you to get it done including fitting etc?

I run a business which trims/edges carpets and over the past 10 years, i've had a few requests from the larger carpet shop chains to cut out/trim carpets for boats and from looking on other forums over the past few days, it seems like people struggle to find someone who is willing to do it for them without being hugely over charged. These posts i saw were from 2010 so i was just wondering if its still the case?

Thanks.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
This is really the wrong forum for this - this is for merchant marine questions. I'd suggest the Practical Boat Owner Reader to reader forum.

I don't know of anyone who has had a professional fit new carpets on a boat; the small pieces and strange shapes make it easiest to do it yourself! About two years ago, we had to change all the carpets on our boat, following a diesel leak. It was simple enough to do this; we used what I think is called "glue back" carpet, which has a higher degree of flexibility than other carpet types. The carpet may well have to bend round compound curves, so the carpet used has to be both flexible and slightly stretchy.

You should be aware that carpet is not usually the major element of the flooring of a yacht; the main walking areas tend to be varnished wood so as to stand up to damp and wet. Carpet is usually only used for trim or for sleeping areas.