help needed for Multi-function display / digital ....what to buy?

Melleman

Visit site
Hi I am looking for a system but the more I investigate the less I know what system to buy.:confused:

I am looking in to converting a friends dashboard from there Neptunus 138(Dutch cruiser) from VDO meters to lcd or Ipad like screen.
Could anyone help me with this?
With an interface which converts the signals from the engines.
Right now we have the following meters on the dashboard:

RPM x 2
Temerature x 2
oilpressure times 2
voltmeter x 1
log x 1
rudder indicator x 1
fuel meter x 1
water meter x 1

We have 2 x volvo tamd61 engines. I t would be great if we could replace all the old meters with a screen in the salon and also a weatherproof screen on the flybridge.

Maybe links to threads thats discuss this topic,I did not find any.
I am not so handy when it comes to forum stuff:eek:

Or just the right hint where to look.

Looking forward to your reply.

Last edited:

Latestarter1

Visit site
Hi I am looking for a system but the more I investigate the less I know what system to buy.:confused:

I am looking in to converting a friends dashboard from there Neptunus 138(Dutch steel cruiser) from VDO meters to lcd or Ipad like screen.
Could anyone help me with this?
With an interface which converts the signals from the engines.
Right now we have the following meters on the dashboard:

RPM x 2
Temerature x 2
oilpressure times 2
voltmeter x 1
log x 1
rudder indicator x 1
fuel meter x 1
water meter x 1

We have 2 x volvo tamd61 engines. I t would be great if we could replace all the old meters with a screen in the salon and also a weatherproof screen on the flybridge.

Maybe links to threads thats discuss this topic,I did not find any.
I am not so handy when it comes to forum stuff:eek:

Or just the right hint where to look.

Looking forward to your reply.

I am currently working on units to work with Cummins mechanical engines, can add options of EGT, Boost, gearbox pressure/temp, as well as NMEA 2000 gateway but not fuel/water levels or rudder. I am working on open loop generator fuel consumption based on % load, however that is some way off yet.

Display units are waterproof and have good daylight reading characteristics and will only work with SAE3 housings and SAE 11 1/2 flywheels.

Cummins uses VDO gauges same as VP however not sure if sensor values are the same on Volvo 61's, in addition I doubt if VP engine sensor locations are NPT, however this is not insurmountable.

jfm

Visit site
Several manufacturers make small black boxes to convert analogue readings from your current sensors/gauges into N2k. Maretron EMS100, Actisense EMu-1, VeeThree, NoLand.

Then you can display on any marine MFD, such as Garmin 8000, with sunlight viewing and waterproofing. Inside the boat (no rain) you can dispay on laptop using eg Maretron software and USB-N2K connecting lead. Garmin 8000 will repeat to iPad very easily

Raymarine, Furuno, simrad also do systems similar to Garmin

It would be useful to google/study the architecture of N2k which is a simple backbone/drop cable data sharing network similar to j1939 in car engines

As for "what to buy", if it were me I would get Garmin displays and Maretron black boxes, including Maretron's fuel flow measuring N2K devices, because all that data without reliable fuel flow would be a shame. It is then a €12k project though. (You didn't mention any budget limits!)

Last edited:

Melleman

Visit site
Several manufacturers make small black boxes to convert analogue readings from your current sensors/gauges into N2k. Maretron EMS100, Actisense EMu-1, VeeThree, NoLand.

Then you can display on any marine MFD, such as Garmin 8000, with sunlight viewing and waterproofing. Inside the boat (no rain) you can dispay on laptop using eg Maretron software and ESB-N2K connecting lead. Garmin 8000 will repeat to iPad very easily

Raymarine, Furuno, simrad also do systems similar to Garmin

It would be useful to google/study the architecture of N2k which is a simple backbone/drop cable data sharing network similar to j1939 in car engines

As for "what to buy", if it were me I would get Garmin displays and Maretron black boxes, including Maretron's fuel flow measuring N2K devices, because all that data without reliable fuel flow would be a shame. It is then a €12k project though. (You didn't mention any budget limits!)

I am not paying for it,just monting it in the boat.
Thanks for the reply,I will send this information forward.

And come back with a budget....

Melleman

Visit site
Can this one do what we require,on there website they state that they customize there hard wear to customers requests.
Have someone tryed that?
http://www.digitalmarinegauges.com/products/sensor-interface-units/pro-sensor-interface-unit.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_softy.tpl&product_id=36&category_id=17

I have send them a mail,of course:eek:

Because the 12000£ solution was out of the question.
But maybe 3000 if possible or less,or else the VDO gauges will stay......:disgust:
Plotters exist already so we are only talking engine gauges + tanks(diesel+water) + rudder.

Last edited: