HELP. Money transfers

paulineb

Visit site
Suzie B went off to Tenerife this morning with her boyfriend. Just had a collect call from her sobbing down the phone that all their money had been stolen at the airport in Tenerife. I've sent her off to the police station, so she can claim from insurance, but have some immediate problems.

Insurance company may not pay out until she comes home so have to get some money to her v quickly - how?

If it were someone else's child i could think with a clear head - but she's mine and she's so far away and she's crying and she wants to come home and can't

She's calling me back once she's been to the police station ....advice please???

Pxx

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Pauline try ringing your bank in the morning. Not your local branch. I use the corporate banking team at Barclays. They will wizz me anything anywhere with just a phone call. Or some times a fax if there feeling fussy. Course you will need some where for them to wizz it to. Must be a Consulate office. Or hotel or some where that could help.
Sorry to hear of Suzi's problems.

Have you sent off Your Stamped. SAE and cheque. Yet.

Haydn

lyc

Visit site
I had similar problem with my daughter, the travel agent let me give them cash and transferred it straightaway to the rep at the hotel abroad.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Not sure Pauline. But give them both a ring or like Ic says. Ring the travel agent. Some one will sort it out very quickly. But maybe have to wait till the morning.

Haydn

JohnR

Visit site
Thomas Cook used to do transfers, i.e. pay in in UK and they telegraph their agent, so do American Express. Talk to your bank in the morning, Swift transfers only take a couple of hours.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Pauline just a thought. Cant you transfer it yourself with internet banking. I only use it to transfer from one account to another. (My own) Or Ring a hotel or some one with a Visa or whatever card thingy and phone your number to them. Not just anyone of course.

Haydn

jfm

Visit site
Suggestions

Western Union - I guess they will have a branch there, but not sure

Or get a hotel to accept your credit card and give her some cash (would need upmarket hotel I think, might be tricky)

Amex will do it on a phonecall if you have the black card, not sure about green or gold

Put cash in DHL envelope - will cost about £30 and get there late next day

Forbsie

Visit site
Pauline, I'm sure that you will have all sorted out with the advice already given. If not, give Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria (BBVA) a call on 0207 623 3060. They are at 108 Cannon Street, EC4N and I'm sure you can place money there to be collected at any branch in Tenerife.

coliholic

Visit site
Re: Suggestions

Used Western Union loads of times for transferring cash to various employees around the world. Find your local agent, get Suzanne to find nearest agent in Tenerife and then just take the cash into your local branch and it'll be there in 15mins. Most John Lewis's in UK are a WU agents. You can also do it by 'phone\credit card via their website.

Just checked on their website and there's about ten agents in Las Americas, I guess that's where Suzanne is?

http://www.westernunion.com/western_europe/

Good Luck and hope she's OK. They're a worry aren't they these young daughters?

BarryH

Visit site
Amex will get it there in a couple of hours. Go to an amex office give'em the money here and the travellers cheques will be dispenced at the other end. You dont have to have an Amex account to do this.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

ParaHandy

Visit site
Have daughter teaching in Ghana (Accra) and BarryH's Amex solution worked v. well - no worries & now got happy daughter.

Douglas

G

Suzie should be able to draw cash from a cash dispenser abroad with a debit/credit card if she has either, you will just need to top up her account to cover the debit when it hits. Royal bank of Scotland and Nat West are the same, Barclays are separate and a competitor. Good luck

ChrisW

Visit site
Royal Bank of Scotland is affiliated with Banco Santander which have branches all over spain. They will accept a swift transfer.