Help me get afloat

LiamS

Visit site
Can anyone give me sound advice?I am trying to get afloat by purchasing my first boat.I have trawled through the 'boats for sale' sections of magazines and websites and still cannot find a suitable boat in my price range.
I have a budget of about 55000 Euros which I think is about £35000 Sterling.
I am looking for a seagoing vessel for coastal trips and the odd voyage across the Irish sea (I am based on the East coast of Ireland).I would like a twin diesel boat with about 6 berths.I am not into 'sports' boats and would just like to cruise at a nice pace.
If my budget were bigger I would choose a Moonraker 36 flybridge,Princess 37 or one of the older 36ft Brooms.
This being the case here comes the question.Does anybody know of a boat similar to the ones I have mentioned yet within my price range.Age is not a big concern.
If anyone can suggest a make and model it would be a great help and save me searching outside my budget.
Many thanks for your experience and help.
LiamS

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Have a look at the Sealine range. I'm on my third and really rate them. Sealine are the forth UK (in my opinion) boat builder and hence don't command the prices of Princess, Fairline or Sunseeker hence generally good value for money without compromising sturdiness or quality
happy searching
David

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Liam, welcome to the forum.

You may well struggle to find what you want for the price, suspect that you'll end up looking at a 70's vessel or will have to come down in size. If you're looking at an older boat I would steer well clear of outdrives, they could well cause trouble and be very expensive to maintain.

If you want twin diesels with 6 berths I guess you're looking at 35' or thereabouts, maybe even larger. You will struggle to find a boat of this size for in your budget that's in good condition. One make that does spring to mind is Powles, built in the 70's and early 80's with a good reputation for seakeeping. Try a search on this site, see top left - buying a boat or go to www.boats-for-sale.com and do a search there. Also the Seamaster range might suit your requirements.

Happy hunting, let us know how you get on.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
To be honest, I dont think you can sensibly get the boat you are looking for, for 35 grand. Else it will be fairly clapped out.
Try looking at 20 odd feet, maybe four berth and perhaps one engine. It's got to be diesel and best with shafts. Dont forget to save a few grand to up grade the electronics and extra kit, if you want to cross the Irish sea. Yes you can do it without but!!

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

oldgit

Visit site
There are a couple of powles for around 60/70k euros on the french boats for sale site.
If you do not mind a bit of work there was a ranger 36 (2 x 300hp) in brighton for around
40k euros or a almost ready to go pegasus 35 (2 x 175 hp)for the same sort of money in christchurch,one of only 2 glass built boats with a flybridge.Both had recently o/hauled with photos /invoices twin diesels on shafts.

G

I think you should get a Broom 37 Continental or Ocean for around that price. 6 berth normally twin 145 or 175
Perkins diesels. Or I did see a Mooraker for that amount the other day.

CGN

boomer

N/A
Visit site
Hmmmm.... A Broom 37 Continental or Ocean for £35000. That would make your Crown worth about £45K Are you selling?

LiamS

Have you thought about the Birchwood 33? A late 70s twin diesel example might be got for your price. Nice sea boat, loads of room with aft cabin. The very last of these, mid-80s, especially the rare flybridge Viceroy version, were/are a super boat but you would need 10-15k more. Good hunting.

G

Re: boomer

Yer right Boomer perhaps that was a little unrealistic, should have ckecked the adds first. My apologies .
The Birchwood on the other hand is sound advice though.

CGN