Help!!! Fridge doesn't want to play anymore in faro sunshine

ironmaiden

Visit site
Would anyone happen to know of someone versed in the black art of boat refrigeration who can service our frigoboat unit as it has decided that it no longer wants to play, compressor seems to work, as when it is switched on it draws the right amount of power (4to5 amp) then just draws about 1 to 1 1/2 amp as tho it is running but with no load.
I think it may need re-charging but don't want to do that if it has a leak.
We are in Bruce's boat yard Faro (having to drink warm G&Ts so urgent help needed)
Thanks Rachel

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Previous owner this morning told me the fridge can be dismantled and taken to a repairer, evidently it has the connections with valves. There used to be/may still be is a fridge repairer and spares shop on the road somewhere behind the Portimao sailing club, which is between the marina and town. Don't know anyone in Faro.

Heckler

Visit site
Would anyone happen to know of someone versed in the black art of boat refrigeration who can service our frigoboat unit as it has decided that it no longer wants to play, compressor seems to work, as when it is switched on it draws the right amount of power (4to5 amp) then just draws about 1 to 1 1/2 amp as tho it is running but with no load.
I think it may need re-charging but don't want to do that if it has a leak.
We are in Bruce's boat yard Faro (having to drink warm G&Ts so urgent help needed)
Thanks Rachel

Rachel, I checked on ebay, the gas has come down a bit, might be worth buying some guages and half a kilo of gas and shipping to the yard. Ask Joana for the mail address to use
Stu
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_....TR9.TRC2.A0.H0.X134a.TRS0&_nkw=134a&_sacat=0

Last edited:

ironmaiden

Visit site
Hi, we found a super guy just 5 mins walk from the boat yard, he came this morning and found that not only was there no gas in it but the filter was blocked solid, he soldered in a new one refilled it with gas.
He spent 3 1/2 hours here and only charged 120 euro all in, so we are very happy.
I was about to Order some gas online and that was going to cost me 145 euro with the delivery.
We now have cold G&T's so we are very happy bunnies.
Regards Rach

Heckler

Visit site
Excellent, it is technically a drier as well, if any air gets in it is supposed to suck any moisture out and collect it. The question has to be asked, what blocked it? Was it water or cack? Where did it come from?
The other thing is, did he put his vacuum pump on the system and let it stand with a vacuum to ensure no leaks and to “boil” any remaining moisture out of the system.

ironmaiden

Visit site
Yes he put a vacuumed pump on, I was bothered about the o rings in the connections because I put two new ones in, the ones that were in there had gone hard and brittle, one of them broke up into two pieces.
The one I put in must have been OK as he put the vacuumed pump on and never said there was a leak anywhere.

Heckler

Visit site
Yes he put a vacuumed pump on, I was bothered about the o rings in the connections because I put two new ones in, the ones that were in there had gone hard and brittle, one of them broke up into two pieces.
The one I put in must have been OK as he put the vacuumed pump on and never said there was a leak anywhere.
Ok, as we discussed, O rings gone bad, leak, air and moisture in plus gas out. Filter got blocked. Job sorted! See you in August