Helo I back

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Hi folks just got back from new boats maiden voyage. All went well the KAMD43's performed well? in fact didnt use any appreciable oil or water on the whole trip, jst fuel (sorry wallet)

Left Mahon early Sat 1st March bound for Ibiza, on a SW heading of 240 deg. You've guessed it where was the substantial wind coming from? SW right on the nose after some 60nm, pulled into Colom on SW coast of Mallorca to fill tanks, (only half full at start). Decided to make for Puerto Campas, a further 20plus miles round the coast to give as a closed passage for Ibiza in the morning.

This 20 or so miles pretty rough bringing average speed down from 16 knts to 11.

Place was deserted as it was 16.00 hrs when we arrived and there was a public holiday, no Capitain, so we moored to the fuel pontoon and spent a very noisy night, you know wet warps and swell equate to precious little sleep.
Add to this that we had all flown in light of luggage nievely expecting bedding aboard. So it was lay on bed with no pillow and just yer jacket, listening to warps.

Day two: (The nasty one) Set off 7am for the 83nm passage to Ibiza back on 240 heading with the forcast SW F5's right on the nose. The early morning start greeted us with lesser winds but with ominous signs of things to come. By halfway the wind is now with us big time, and what was a large swell became a very large swell with white horse and waves coming in from several directions. Strict human helming time with throttle variations to reduce slamming you know the scene. This saw our speed drop to about 10-11knts for next 5 hrs great.

I have to say the hull coped very well with the conditions.

Day three : stayed in a windswept Ibiza port, checked into hotel to get a break from bare beds and no, pillows bliss. No where open for provisiosn in Puerto Botafoch place very quiet, after much searching in Ibiza and learning the Spanish for sleeping bag (Sacko) aquired three sleeping backs and three cheap pillows.
Spent some of the evening in Internet Cafe looking at a nice high pressure coming in from the west, so decided to make for the mainland next day and change course further south if conditions good.

Day four: Early start found us on slight seas (swell) and steaming along at 24 knts, so turning further south heading for Caragena for refuel. Got there 1.30 thinking they'll go for siesta about 2.00. Not this Guy 1-4 siesta so several hours to kill, and prospect of night passage into Almerimar.

With the high pressure and added shelter off the land conditions turned to flat seas blissfull, making good time 26 knts, when we saw about 6 or 7 pilot wales off port bow. slowed to a stop and spent some time with these lovely creatures around the bow. Got some great video too.

Arrived at 21.15 with 270nm clocked for the day at 23knt average speed to bad. Spent a couple of hours night nav but in perfect conditions.

Day Five : last leg 126nm in perfect conditions flat sea and sunny flybridge brought us to the boats home in Puerto de La Duquesa.

Total days at sea 4, total miles 550, total fuel eerrmm rather not talk about it suffice to say that on the 270 leg at average of 22.5 knts about 19.2 GPH or 0.85 GPM

Just a final note for the Sealine critics, the boat performed very well. And I say this not because I ended up buying one cos I wanted a Sealine, I could have bought a Princess or Fairline, this fitted the bill for sea school and the right price.

CGN

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Re: Oh forgot

Forgot to mention for Tsunamis Nav fans the software worked very well even though the boat had an Autohelm plotter. On the night passage took it onto flybridge (no good in big seas though) and used the night screen to Nav into Almerimar avoiding some fish havens. . Oh and for those going into Ibiza Port the latest charts dont show a hugh new wall on entrance, new breakwater I believe

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Glad you got there safely Clive, sounds as though it wasn't all fun and laughter. When do you plan on returning?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Hi LJS march 28th I head back, the other are still out there to await the RYA man next Tuesday for the all important inspection to rubber stamp the boat for the school Fingers crossing alls well

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Re: Piccies of new boat

It's a good looking boat but that Suncoast geezer sure is ugly!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Re: Piccies of new boat

waddayer mean I ruggedly handsome boy

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Congrats Clive. Sounds like you bought yourself a good boat. Hope the new venture goes well

<hr width=100% size=1>

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Thanks Mike thats very kind of you. Love to see the T48, so when your next down Del Sol way look me up CGN

Canboria

Visit site
Well done Clive, boat looks good, glad you have a good trip at least the rough part of the trip will give you some confidence in the boat.

Don't listen to Lsj, obviously doesn't appreciate your rugged good looks.

Will see you soon on launch day of Happy 1

Derek

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldgit

Visit site
Re: Hello I back

Boat looks pretty good to me Clive.Nice shakedown first trip it would appear.
Will be in Competa around May 3-10.Fred.

<hr width=100% size=1>Oooh look its still not dark and its nearly 5pm

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Re: Hello I back

"Competa around May 3-10.Fred." sorry Fred is that near Marbella?
Just spoke to Phil Cool hes still in Spain getting her ready for Mr RYA to inspect on Tuesday, reckons hes got the outside shiny as a new pin, which it needed after that journey, plus lovely Julie livaboard a few boats up in the Marina has done the inside for 5 euros an hour not bed eh? And she included washing the nets for that/forums/images/icons/smile.gif