Heckling

miket

Visit site
I have noticed a few rather unhelpful posts on this forum from forumites who should probably know better. The latest concerning over use of bow thrusters.
I suspect most have embraced advances in their cars with SatNav, parking assistance, Lane assist, etc. Why not advances on their boats?!
I consider myself qualified to comment having owned single and twin engined boats, both with and without thrusters.
If it helps encourage new boat owners, then have bow, stern and/or joystick controls. Bring it on.
I have just had remote control installed for both bow and stern thrusters this year. Why not? My wife finds crewing increasingly difficult and painful and I am sure it will, on occasion, help me. It does not mean I am incapable of handling my boat without.
Embrace the advances. Don’t get stuck in the past.

Parabordi

Visit site
Come on mike its just a bit of banter no more than you would encounter in the bar of your club.
Youll be buying a Zimmer frame next.
I will just make sure not to lift my parabordis between locks!

miket

Visit site
Delighted at good hearted banter.
Not immediately obvious some times.
Change To our current boat did take into consideration future zimmer requirements. Hence large zimmer park sized bathing platform.
Not a net curtain to be seen!

Aquafan

Visit site
Spot on
There's an Antares which parks next to me with a single engine on a shaft with no bow thruster and it's an absolute nightmare to park

No Regrets

Visit site
There is a technique to reversing single shaft boats. I presume you're talking about reversing into a finger pontoon!?

Once mastered, it's really easy and effective.

Walther

Visit site
I suspect most have embraced advances in their cars with SatNav, parking assistance, Lane assist, etc.
I don't need, want or have any of that rubbish on my car. The KISS principle applies: less expensive kit to break down.

If it helps encourage new boat owners, then have bow, stern and/or joystick controls. Bring it on.
Dumbing things down to accommodate the perceived needs of people who can't be bothered to obtain proper training: how sadly typical of 21st century attitudes. E.g., everyone wants a 'quick fix', and would rather take medication than exercise.

pks1702

Visit site
I don't need, want or have any of that rubbish on my car. The KISS principle applies: less expensive kit to break down.

Dumbing things down to accommodate the perceived needs of people who can't be bothered to obtain proper training: how sadly typical of 21st century attitudes. E.g., everyone wants a 'quick fix', and would rather take medication than exercise.

:sleeping:Dino.jpg

Viking23

Visit site
I was moored just above Eynsham lock a few years ago and a NB decided to moor in a very tight space behind me. Waited for the bang but nothing happened- the guy had bow thrusters and neatly squeezed in, going astern. Probably 1-2 ft at most from my stern; perfect job.

oldgit

Visit site
....any device that ensures the skipper is relaxed enough to enjoy his boating day without spending his entire trip out constantly worrying about the final few moments when mooring back up has got to be a good thing.
Perhaps the crews on such boats may get an easier ride too ?
A certain atmoshpere aboard some boats while mooring, can be detected some distance away. :)

Last edited:

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk

You stick to your model T !

oldgit

Visit site
if anybodies the least bit interested my medication of choice is Glen Morangie.
My berthing technick is unbelieveable after glass or two.

ianc1200

Visit site
It seems therefore I must apologise to all those seeing myself & wife having a giggle when we hear the "zipppp" "zippp" of a bow thruster used in a lock.