Heavenly Twins

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Oh for a decent sized bed!
I'm at the stage of changing my forepeak around to try and get better use out of the space.
In this respect I really envy the big cat owners.

Or a Heavenly Twins owner - our HT27 aft cabin bed was 7 feet long and 6 feet wide. Comfy. Disadvantage was that the whole family would pile in at 7am, dog included.

dmmbruce

Visit site
HT

Fascinating thread. I have an HT, old slow, safe and nice. Easy to single-hand, though the narrow side decks are tiresome. I agree pretty well with all the comments above. How nice to see a thoroughly constructive discussion.

I suggest you might wish to look for one with a covered cockpit if you do go the HT way. It is much nicer.

Don't forget that Multihull Centre is quite separate from Multihull World.

Mike

bill bligh

Visit site
Multihull World at Emsworth have a 9mt catalac for £14,000 (I have no connection with them) it's on the IOW. I had an 8mt once yes lots of leeway but a good boat.

Bajansailor

Visit site
I met a Heavenly Twins 26 cat here some years ago after she had crossed the Atlantic - the crew were a couple with a teenage daughter and a dog, and they certainly appeared to have all of their worldly belongings on board - the underside of the bridge deck was immersed even at anchor...... yet they had an uneventful (and not slow) trip across the Atlantic.

On Michael Briant's site mentioned above there are copies of various Prout catamaran catalogues here - http://www.michaelbriant.com/prout_original_cataloges.htm
I went for a sail once along the coast here on a Snowgoose 35 - she had just crossed the Atlantic to Barbados, again with a family of 3 and a dog, but she was not over loaded, and she sailed very well I thought.

Another multihull broker is Robert Underwood - here is a Prout 33 CS for sale for GBP 40k.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/Prout-Catamarans-33-CS-2402021/United-Kingdom

It might also be worthwhile keeping an eye out for a Sagitta or a Flica designed by Richard Woods - the Sagittas certainly sail very well (and the Eclipse which was a later development even more so) while the Flicas might be considered to be a bit more staid.
Lots of info about them at www.sailingcatamarans.com

Malo37

Visit site
The rig is pretty floppy as there is no front crossbeam and the forestay is set up on a bridle.
At least some of them have cross beams because I have one in my garage. Many years ago a chap I knew had one and sailed into a high voltage overhead cable. Bits of his boat blew up including his cross beam which split like a tree struck by lightning. He replaced it and I have a length of the old one in my garage. As its solid square teak and about 3ft long I could never bring myself to chuck it.

mikemacdonald

Visit site
HT/Prout

Thankyou Banjan sailor, Now I've learned a little more. On photo 2 of the 33 CS there is a round disc on the stbd rear hull, looks like a hatch cover.. Now that's a good idea.!That has to be where they have inserted the crossbeam to link the rudders, on our 37 its all glassed in so must have been fitted when the boat was made. Working on the linkage and ball joints is a nightmare, being able to remove it would make the job so much easier.
Mike

MacMan

sailtoanywhere.blogspot.com
It's quite easy to get a king size bed on a prout 33...

Oh for a decent sized bed!
In this respect I really envy the big cat owners.

I brought a Prout 33 - It's wasn't an owners verison but I just removed the seat back from the forwards part of the saloon. And now have a kings size bed there (all be it Open Plan)

This took all of one hour to do.

I can now now sleep 7 and just (at a push) get all of them round the remaining saloon table.

I think many 33 were designed with the forward seating under the Saloon converting as requierd. But my removing the seat backs in this area you get a true kingsize from which you can watch the stars by opening the curtains on the forwards windows - or peak out to check you Anchor isn't dragging !

You loose a berth in the "proper" ownes version - for little gain.

beerbiker21

Visit site
Prices

The cost of just about everything is dropping in the current economic situation....cats are no exception...they rose on the back of a financial bubble and I believe they have a long way to go down. So "Let the buyer beware".

tim_ber

Visit site
totally concur

No, Multihull World are at Emsworth. Multihull Centre, home of the Twins family, is at Millbrook in Cornwall.

Emsworth screwed us over big time; photos of boats that were 2 years out of date, inventory listed never existed...etc - 'special' links with their clients that were selling poor boats, yet overly priced - buyer beware!

The other place that Snowleopard mentioned have a great reputation.

Also, Emsworth is where non-sailors go - you can only sail once a fortnight owing to their tides.

beerbiker21

Visit site
Prices

Sorry to hear you had problems there. They have always been helpful and knowledgeable (Ken Walker in particular) when I've visited but then I haven't bought from them and won't consider a purchase from anywhere for a while yet. I have been watching prices slide bigtime for over two years. If you throw into the "value" of a boat the fact that so much ancillary gear is currently massively discounted and that new electrical stuff is incredibly cheap and "does" much more then how much does that affect the actual selling price which, incidentally, seems to be way below asking unless someone finds a (wealthy) mug? And there are fewer of them to be found now!