HEATING

G

Anyone any experience of a heating system called Kabola? Pros/cons? Or any other systems using diesel that are recommended?

VMALLOWS

Visit site
Have not heard of this brand.....is it blown-air like Eberspacher/Webasto?.

Personally I would not go for this type of heater (ie Eberspacher) again on grounds of cost/reliability/extreme cost of spares, unless circumstances demanded diesel. Would probably go for blown-air gas (eg PROPEX) at about 1/3rd cost, as long as you can replenish the gas OK.

Lets hear other comments!

petery

Visit site
Are Eberspachers unreliable?

I'm just about to fit an Eberspacher (the ex-van model) in 'recirculation mode'. I realise that the bits needed to fit it are b****y expensive - so I'm buying some elsewhere (flexible exhaust) or making some (exhaust outlet) - but you say they are not reliable. What sort of problems can I expect to experience?

JamesS

Visit site
Re: Are Eberspachers unreliable?

I had mine fitted seven years ago - used regularly - no problems at all but can't comment on cost of spares as I've never bought any.

Cheers

heerenleed

www.heerenleed.com
We have a Kabola. It's the B8 type. Mind you, the actual B8 should be all right, but Kabola have developed the thing at our expense. We bought it because we live aboard and cannot afford toy heating systems. Everybody living aboard in our marina has the Kabola, but (as we discovered later) the larger models.
We had a lot of repairs and still do not quite trust the thing....

We chose the one with the electronic burner which does not need a vertical flue as we have a sailing yacht. If the system needs to heat only when moored, you can also use the simpler system which is noting more than a good diesel stove which heats water for your radiators.

We have chosen very expensive convector-radiators from our local central heating supplier, much nicer and much more choice than the Kabola dealer could offer.

If you need any more or specific information you can PM me.

if you have the right model, the most obvious pro is (or should be) reliability, the
most obvious con is the price.
good luck

Peter a/b SV Heerenleed, Steenbergen, Netherlands

bedouin

Visit site
There are 4-5 different diesel heaters on the market. A number of mags have done good reviews in the past year - well worth getting. I was also impressed with the Mikumi (or something like that) units.

As another poster mentioned, the Propex Gas system is worth a thought for smaller boats. Half the price to buy/install; less drain on the battery and more reliable/easier servicing than diesel. On the down side it costs more in Gas than the others do in diesel

rogerm

Visit site
Having had an Erberspacher diesel on our boat when we bought it some 5 or so years ago we can say it's wonderful. The only problem we have had is that everytime it takes about 3 goes to get it started but never more than 4. It has been very reliable otherwise and we have not had to buy any spares for it.

FYI we had a go at Erberspacher about the starting problem. They say it is due to low voltage although it has good thick supply cables and the voltage only drops to about 11.5v.
Roger

G

Re: Are Eberspachers unreliable?

The systems appear to be very reliable if like all things they are properly maintained. The main cause of starting problems are worn out glowplugs, screens or insufficient battery power - they do take a lot of power when starting. They are certainly worth having though and make the boat a more comfortable place to be. After all you wouldn't buy a house or car without heating.

tome

www.google.co.uk
Have you tried starting the engine then the heater? This normally works when the battery voltage is a little low.
Regards
TomE

rogerm

Visit site
Tom you are right it does help. If we are out sailing (or motoring) then starting the engine is seen as an OK thing to do since the engine has already, or will shortly be, used anyway. The battery is properbly quite well topped up anyway and making good the energy lost in starting the engine as well is not seen as a problem.

However the heater tends to be used most often at this time of year when we come along to check that the boat is OK. The boat might be out of the water, on the hard, and hence it is not possible to start the engine or if in the water then we have no plans to go anywhere and hence to make up the energy loss (we don't have a Marina berth!). So we want some heat but we don't want to flatten the battery in the process. Once the heater has started it only uses a small amount of electrical energy mainly to run the heater fan.

Perhaps we should get a medium size photopanel to make sure the battery stays topped up?
Roger

tome

www.google.co.uk
Roger

If it's the same unit as mine (D3L) I believe the initial current draw can be around 20A. My unit is wired with 10 sq mm cable, which is very substantial. I did have a problem with the inline fuseholder and was losing nearly 1V across it - replaced this and it's worked fine ever since.

My boats in Northney so I have shore power and a 3 stage battery charger to keep both banks topped up. Since you're on a mooring, perhaps a wind genny would make a useful Xmas present to your boat?

Tom

G

Why do you want a heater??? It'sbeen 32C all week????????