Headlining material

Euphonyx

Visit site
I have removed the old headlining. I am looking for a source to replace the vinyl covering. The old lining comprises thin plywood board covered in cream coloured vinyl. My local supplier is looking for €18/£15 per meter. Seems a lot? Alternatively, has anyone taken a different approach? I thought of replacing the plywood with a thin plastic board or similar. it would be much less work, much lighter but not sure about costs. No idea where to source a suitable material either. Any suggestions folks? Thanks

VicS

Visit site
Another satisfied customer of Hawke House

If covering ply panels you can use a water resistant PVA glue.

No nasty solvents and easier to use than a solvent based contact adhesive.

Hawke House will supply a suitable glue.

Talbot

Visit site
I used a felt backed carpet / didnt have the same problems as a foam backing, provided better insulation, and was cheaper and better looking.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I have removed the old headlining. I am looking for a source to replace the vinyl covering. The old lining comprises thin plywood board covered in cream coloured vinyl. My local supplier is looking for €18/£15 per meter. Seems a lot? Alternatively, has anyone taken a different approach? I thought of replacing the plywood with a thin plastic board or similar. it would be much less work, much lighter but not sure about costs. No idea where to source a suitable material either. Any suggestions folks? Thanks

There was a recent article in PBO magazine where they removed the lining, scraped off the foam which had turned to dust, glued on new foam to the vinyl (presumably higher spec) and replaced. Sounds like a cheaper option to me as it is usually the foam that deteriorates not the vinyl. Also it's already cut to size!

Edit - the article was in PBO Feb 2011 so you may not have thrown it out yet. The foam has the advantage of providing insulation which can vastly improve condensation problems.

Last edited:

Signed Out

Visit site
Some people have mentioned using camping mats, which are cheap and closed cell, typically polyolefin foam, which I believe to be safe and the same material as used in children's swimming floats. These would just be an insulation though, to which you could glue a more tactile surface, such as carpeting or unbacked vinyl.

Euphonyx

Visit site
There was a recent article in PBO magazine where they removed the lining, scraped off the foam which had turned to dust, glued on new foam to the vinyl (presumably higher spec) and replaced. Sounds like a cheaper option to me as it is usually the foam that deteriorates not the vinyl. Also it's already cut to size!

actually there was no foam on the back of the headlining. It was glued straight onto the plywood board. There was disintegrated foam on the back of the vinyl that was used to line the bulkheads but when I scraped that all off there were nice wooden hardwood veneered bulkheads beneath. I think I'll just varnish those. I don't understand why they covered them up in the first place. You have given me an idea regarding the headlining though. Its not ripped or torn so I wonder can I spray paint it? hmmm

ianat182

Visit site
If you have a 'superstore' called "The Range" near to you visit the curtain and drapery section and view the 'tablecovering' material they stock in 1.5 mtre wide, @10.00 per metre. The backing is a white webbing material and the types and colours are a beige or white with a very feint impressed pattern,not unlike the headlining for cars, and vinyl. This is also stickable with PVA. Kayospruce at fareham 01489 581696 may also stock headlining plus any form of canvas sailcloth etc,and send samples.

ianat182

Wansworth

Visit site
On my steel boat I lined it out with ply but just painted ,both sided with a satin finish which was washable is this not another possibility,maybe 4mm marine grade stuff?

C

catalac08

Do this sort of stuff as part of my work and always use http://www.toomerandhayter.co.uk/

I'd stick with ply for the panels it won't attract condensation like plastic will.

I used plastic cladding (comes in 300mm wide and 400mm wide). This gives a simulated tongue
and groove effect in white and looks terrific. Was quick to fix and an area 8ftx 12ft cost about £80 in total including edging strips and stainless screws. If you are careful you can plan the lay so that you can access wires, deck fittings etc. Being a hollow box section about 10mm thick insulation is very good and only over the cooker when boiling pans etc do we get any condensation, has a finish easy to wipe unlike many vinyl headlinings that have a grain which hold mould and dirt. Well worth worth considering-I would never go back to foam back vinyl or headlining stuck onto ply!

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
I have an end of roll of light tan coloured vinyl that you can have for a donation to the RNLI. Not sure how much but could measure it, i am in Essex by the way. PM me if interested.

ghostlymoron

Visit site

Edit - the article was in PBO Feb 2011 so you may not have thrown it out yet. The foam has the advantage of providing insulation which can vastly improve condensation problems.[/QUOTE
I've re-posted this to bring it to the top again!

nigelm

Visit site
Do this sort of stuff as part of my work and always use http://www.toomerandhayter.co.uk/

I'd stick with ply for the panels it won't attract condensation like plastic will.

I'm doing the exact same job at the mo in my countess 28 , new ply panels and new foam backed vinyl from T&H .

the original stuff had long since come away and the ply had rotted in a couple of places thanks to a leak (now fixed) .
also the panels were quite large almost 8'x4' which i found just to much to manage singlehanded so i cut em in half long ways which made them much easier to move around in the space of the cabin .

just out of interest tho , i've seen screwfix do 5ltrs of water resistant pva for around £ 15 , http://www.screwfix.com/prods/63895...ant-Primer/No-Nonsense-Waterproof-PVA-D3-5Ltr does anyone know if this stuff is ok to use or should i go for a "UNI-NAME" brand at twice the price !

Wansworth

Visit site
According to a letter in pbo May 2004 a satisfied bodger praised an article called "curing the droop" in PBO 445,helped them get a good finish to their lining refit.