Having a trailer/moveable cradle made

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
Looking at the costs of laying up, and could save a considerable amount if I lay-up at the yacht club, but they require a roller cradle (you know, the one on large castors).

Maybe its best to go for a dedicated road trailer (I suppose a contessa 26 one or Folkboat one one suit). Anybody know of a cheap supplier/maker on the East Coast?

FullCircle

Visit site
Andy Bache
ARB Engineering Burnham. Except I cant find a number for him at the monet. Doh.
He will get Dale Barrett (cheap) to deliver where you like.

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
I spent a while looking for one of these before I brought DW back to Cambridge. The cheapest quote I found was about £5k for an 8 ton boat, and that was a yard cradle rather than a road trailer. If yard storage is looking expensive, would Peter Downs be an option for you to take her home each winter with his self loader?

FullCircle

Visit site
He charged me 500 quid 4 years back for a full cradle for my 22 footer. Add 4 whwwls would prbably add about 200 quid to that.

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
The yard bills are OK, but they have insisted on cradle rentage recently, and seeing as I am not getting a new boat anytime soon, thought it worth looking into cost savings of having my own. She is such a small yacht, now that I think about it would be worth having a road trailer, as that would really extend my cruising range! Will check out boats and outboards.

Mukes

Visit site
Some of the yard trailer/cradles at Kings look like the chassis of old farm trailers with uprights welded on. Is there anything knocking about your folks farm that could be tinkered with?

MrCramp

Visit site
How much does Roach weigh? Will boat and trailer be below the 3500kg limit for towing with a suitable 4X4? Presume the alternative is to buy your own cradle.

MrCramp

Visit site
I would expect a road trailer with a gross weight of 3500kg to weigh a minimum of 750kg, (giving a payload of 2750kg) and maybe more so I think you may have a problem. Above 3500 kg you need a trailer with a braking system controlled by the towing vehicle, eg. air brakes.

Here is a link to the biggest Indespension trailer.
http://www.indespension.co.uk/b2c/app/I00810?ZTNOID=1250&slnk=1
Whilst this does have rollers on it and you would want a differing system of support it does give an indication of the gross and net weights.

Marmalade

Visit site
We get a local farmer to make up trailers for members - recently a 41ft legend and a 38ft dufour - two lorry axles and a frame made from RSJs. costs in the 2K- 2.5K range, I'm told

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
Well thanks all - I think I will stick to renting a cradle for the moment - even though I really don't like the things. Much prefer being shored up with timbers - which are perfectly safe IMHO, but would seem are going steadily out of fashion.

Artemis_C2121

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]
Well thanks all - I think I will stick to renting a cradle for the moment - even though I really don't like the things. Much prefer being shored up with timbers - which are perfectly safe IMHO, but would seem are going steadily out of fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at Fambridge was there this morning looks half a rain forest is in use the leave it to the owner, if you have a cradle they will use it if not timber pusts are used
The yards pretty busy hauling out as you would expect but apart from staff no one around. Opps its only Thursday keep forgetting what day it is not having to work anymore

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

squidge

Visit site
What about making one? 4X acrow jacks £20ish each and an I frame made from RSJ and angle iron. You could bolt it together unless you are handy with a welder then at least you could take it apart for storage. All in all a few hundred quid for the materials and a couple of days labour. Stick some wheels on it and Robert is your mothers brother.

Best rgds.

absit_omen

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
now that I think about it would be worth having a road trailer, as that would really extend my cruising range!

[/ QUOTE ]

It will also extend your eyes about three inches from their sockets - even with a custom built trailer and a Landcruiser to tow it.

Not the least stressful activity!