have you used your boltcutters?

tcm

Visit site
I have just bought boltcutters. Actually i love buying engineery things, so i had small boltcutters anyway. But these are monster 42" long things with max capacity 15mm, which will avoid the prob i had last year when the blimmin anchor got stuck, though it was a quiet night so no big problem.

I experimented in the chandlery with bolt cutters on similar chain: the anchor is 10mm but "10 mm boltcutters" wouldn't get near the stuff, and i needed 15 mm to be able to cut 10mm chain.

Suppose the question is, has anyone tried using their boltcutters for cutting away rigging or snipping anchor chain cos when you needem you really do needem, and the rating are absolute max, or perhaps noteven feasible in all circumstances....

Also, i saw some boltcutters which are "through action" - in other words, you poke the bolt or cable through a hole and then it gets cut. Useless of course for boat except if you are a chandler i suppose

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
They're very useful for nicking outboards that have been chained to the pushpit, or opening locked gates. In fact I first used mine when the impeller broke and my spare was the wrong one, so I had to re-engineer into the replacement impeller!

<hr width=100% size=1>
sailboat_e0.gif

snowleopard

Visit site
bought my bolt cutters along with a big torch on the way home from work one winter evening. would have been difficult to convince the cops of their purpose if i'd been stopped!

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
I locked myself out of my shed so I used them then. Interestingly Dear Hearts Mater is a farmer and she has an old pair for removing the bits on male calves. I never liked the glint in her eye when she, the nippers and I were in the same area. I took the ends off and replaced them with bolt cropping ends and this is what I used when re-uniting myself with the contents of my shed.
I've never used them in anger on the boat although I used to use an Ormiston splicing kit on the dinghies at the sailing school I ran.
What the hell are you doing snipping anchor chain anyway - do we not have a 'bitter end'?

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

jamesjermain

Visit site
YM published a review of bolt croppers and wire cutters a short while ago. Contact the editorial office (0207 261 6040) to find out when and to order a copy).

One of the things I remember from it was that there is a difference betrween bolt croppers and wire cutters. The latter, which are really what yachtsmen need, have a different cutting action and are much more effective, on wire, than bolt croppers.

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

tcm

Visit site
Hm yes, cept i wasn't able to move the chain anywhere when it jammed up completely with chain in it. Also, tipping the entire blimming anchor chain is v expensive and twill be gone even if you mark it round where we are, so best leave hardly anything.

Also, i will be able to helpfully cut away the rigging of any boats which may have what seems to be rather too much rigging. I would love to have a go at something i must say...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Boltcroppers and democracy.

>I would love to have a go at something i must say... <

Sounds like they'd cut through those railings in front of Downing Street. You may want to make yourself known to the leaders of the 'Stop the War' movement.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: Boltcroppers and democracy.

Ah, best not do that. I inadventetnly found myself in a comedy pub in central london a week or so ago, and one of the comedians used an opening gambit of asking who went on the protest march. And then he asked who wanted to bomb iraq. Hardly anyone said "yeah!" except i heard myself heckle that perhaps we should bomb the protest march....

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimboaw

Visit site
Removed an illegal wheel clamp years ago. Bought an identical lock and left the locked clamp behind. Never heard anything from the clampers. Often wonder how the chap reacted when his keys wouldn't work!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
You can also do that with a pipe freezer kit and a club hammer. Or if there's room a hydraulic jack. Neither of these will work on the rigging, though.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
I have some 36" ones which get used now and then to take the rusting links off the end of my anchor chain. They go though 3/8" chain like butter. I haven't used them on the rigging as I generally like to keep it intact, but as it is now up for replacement, I might do some experimenting.

PyroJames

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Think if I was going to keep something like that on the boat, it would be an angle grinder. Then you can cut anything known to man or beast. Even cutting tiles round light switches yesterday. Not for boat you understand! also great for fileing things at high speed or cutting unneeded bits of engine off.

<hr width=100% size=1>
ship_in_a_bottle_e0.gif
Haydn

claymore

Visit site
OK

In my shed, now that I can get in there, thanks to the use of Boltcroppers, I have some old coils of rigging wire which I am happy for you to have a go at.
Say the word and its in the post.

Claymore

claymore

Visit site
James

How's about taking Matts along with you next time you do a boat review and he could test the rigging with his new bolt croppers. Certainly would add a dimension as well as keeping the lad happy.

Claymore

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Cropping metal

There's a significant difference between the material of chain, bolt hasps and rigging. The Vickers hardness of chain will be low, at a guess 170HV. Some hardened bolt hasps are about 300HV but others are soft with a hard coating. They would crop quite easily. Rigging wire is hard drawn, for which a hardness of 400+HV might be expected

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Re: Yes - had problems

I have a very large pair of Record bolt croppers (about 1 mtre long). I cut some 10 mm chain and it went through like butter

Then I tried some 10 mm rigging wire. The jaws twisted sideways and only damaged the wire - no way would it cut.

So back to the drawing board to get a replacement!

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: opportunity knocks

not to worry chris. I have just got some 48" boltcroppers so i will have a hack for you, Corsair isn't it? Not surprised that you need the rigging cut away - you seem to have one too many masts!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
keep away!

no you don't - I like my 2 masts - even though the back one is a bit of a waste of time. Use it to stick up the sun awnings - Cornwall did you say? who needs a sun awning there.

<hr width=100% size=1>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Yes being a big b####r I have to use boltcroppers to cut my toenails, i need a 72" pair to reach, spose it would help if I could bend down or axshully see my toes.......................................................

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
I'd agree in many ways - except if it's rough enough to cause you to drop a rig it may be a bit wet on deck to be playing with 240V AC. I know you can get petrol grinders - but they are hugely big and heavy.

I've got an angle grinder aboard (and lots of power)m but I also carry 4 hacksaw frames and about 50 cobalt blades to fit the frames, to cut away the rigging. I've had to use hacksaws as neither boltcroppers, wirecroppers or ShootIt's wil touch my rigging. It was quite fun seeing the look on the man's face when he tried to prove to me that his bolt croppers would cut through my rigging like a knife through butter. I took him an offcut, and he tried to cut it - and was left with nice semi circular indentations in his cutter blades. Needless to say I didnt buy....

<hr width=100% size=1>