Hasler Self Steering

oakleyb

Visit site
Good Morning all,
Goodluck to those sailing the pond this year, i'm starting to prepare for the Azores 2012 and was wondering who still manufatures the Hasler self steering - is this the one to go for ? i'm taking my Maxi 84 - limited single handed experience to date but will be increasing this over the next 2 years

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk
sorry to but in but related.
The problem I have with a self steering is My boom extends past the transom by a foot or so (heard 23 gaff cutter). This would meen a wind vain set well back, and problems leaning over to set it. Any adivce.

halcyon

Visit site
sorry to but in but related.
The problem I have with a self steering is My boom extends past the transom by a foot or so (heard 23 gaff cutter). This would meen a wind vain set well back, and problems leaning over to set it. Any adivce.

How far back do you want to go? the Hasler on our Halcyon 27 is set well back, see picture 33 on http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205257

All controls are back to cockpit, and previous owners did the Atlantic circuit without problem.

Brian

[10753]

Visit site
Hi

Hasler Steering Gear hasn't been made for some years now although it is possible you might pick up the odd second hand one. Manufacturing costs today would be extortionate !

Can certainly recommend although you will have to tweak the position of the gear, the angle of the water vane and the height of the wind vane. Once set up and balanced it will go on forever.