Has something changed UKBF?

Seven Spades

Visit site
A notice has gone up in Ocean Village stating that vessels arriving from outside the EU including the CI's must now call the UKBF Duty officer in Southampton AND the National Yacht Line. Is this a new regulation we all know about calling the National Yacht Line but the UKBF duty officer? I have not seen any notices on any other ports along the South Coast nor anything from the RYA about new reporting requirements. Are UKBF pulling a fast one here and jumping ahead of any legislation?

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
I hope the number is up to date, about 12months ago, I spent a small fortune trying to contact UKBF ahead of possibly acquiring an SA crew member in France and returning to UK with them.

The HMRC National Yacht Line had a phone no, but out of date with no updated number by UKBF Head Office to them following yet another "reorganisation" of UKBF. This is one Govt Compliance Dept d/w another!
A major structural failure-imagine what E-Borders for Leisure traffic will look like

After much time wasted on the internet at Gov.uk and phone (about 4 hours on the line), and calling Home Office/Immigration premium dos all over the country, via help finally from the Pompey International Ferry Terminal Enquiries,
I was rung back the next day by the Portsmouth UKBF, whose contact was extremely competent and d/w the matter in about 5mins flat. He undertook to try and get the HMRC UKBF contact no updated, and I advised the HMRC Yachtline of the successful no I had found.

This sort of chaos is what I learnt to expect in my working life from anything the Home Office/Immigration were involved in-the front line compliance people are on the ball, their support systems and office teams are total c**p.

I suspect this is a grunt level initiative trying to help the law abiding yotti discharge their obligations, because some 'Transferable Competencies" 'Managers' in both HMRC and UKBF have failed to keep the required channels open between them.

The HMRC Yachtline operators are probably p**sed off with tired yotties slagging them off cos the UKBF No has changed again.

I'd like to be proved wrong re the above, and it's a brilliant bit of joined up Government at the top level, idc, but I'm not sanguine;)

If it's any consolation, the Dutch local Customs Office No. on the Breskens noticeboard was 2 years out of date in early 2013, which the Dutch Customs cutter crew which tagged us off Walcheran took great glee in checking then reporting to their HO:encouragement:

Last edited:

phatcat1

Visit site
Interesting, just looked up the National Yacht Line.

Didn't know the Channel Islands are outside the EU.

Quote form the web page

Telephone: 0300 123 2012
Call the National Yachtline when you arrive in the UK direct from a country outside the EU (the Channel Islands are regarded as outside the EU for this purpose).

Find out about call charges

Opening times:
24 hours a day, seven days a week

Robin

Visit site

EAsiest way returning from channel Islands ( which is not EU) is to stop over in Cherbourg for a last shop/meal, thus clearing into the EU there. You can now return to the UK, quite legally without calling HMRC/BF. We did that every time for many years. The French will never bother with you on arrival and unless it has changed already post brexit will actually be quite miffed if you try to get them even remotely interested in your 'Q" flag. I once asked HMRC at SBS if this was OK and they said ' we would like you to call us sir but there is NO legal obligation to'

Quote form the web page

Call the National Yachtline when you arrive in the UK direct from a country outside the EU (the Channel Islands are regarded as outside the EU for this purpose).

Opening times:

Seven Spades

Visit site
But the notice in Ocean Village says that you MUST ALSO call UKBF duty officer in Southampton and it also provides his phone number. Is this true because I can only find instructions to call the NYL. Where has this requirement come from?

Appledore

Visit site
So how many peeps call the NYL when they sail back from the Channel Islands?

I did this once on return to Plymouth from CI's. Sunday morning, about 0700 hrs, and spoke to a guy in, I think Norwich, who was on the ball and told me to lower my 'Q' Flag and wished me a nice day.

Not heard anything locally about the UKBF being contacted down here.

Giblets

Visit site
But the notice in Ocean Village says that you MUST ALSO call UKBF duty officer in Southampton and it also provides his phone number. Is this true because I can only find instructions to call the NYL. Where has this requirement come from?

Might be worth having a word with the RYA to see if they know anything about this "new requirement".

sailorman

Visit site

Quote form the web page

Opening times:
Yes & the ECH card is useless in Guernsey too due to that

Visit site
A notice has gone up in Ocean Village stating that vessels arriving from outside the EU including the CI's must now call the UKBF Duty officer in Southampton AND the National Yacht Line. Is this a new regulation we all know about calling the National Yacht Line but the UKBF duty officer? I have not seen any notices on any other ports along the South Coast nor anything from the RYA about new reporting requirements. Are UKBF pulling a fast one here and jumping ahead of any legislation?

Havent heard anything about calling either. Coming back from the CI , I just moor up as normal. Being in or out of the EU is just a technicality - its part of the UK as much as Scotland is.

And Q flags? What is there to catch in the CI that warrants quarantine?

Robin

Visit site
I think I screwed up a previous reply but:

THe CI are outside the EU so if arriving back into the UK direct you need to clear Customs and immigration in the UK. EASier is to stop in Cherbourg on the way home and technically clear back into the EU there. Whilst the UK is still in the EU, there is no need to clear again on subsequent arrival in the UK.

'Immigration' used to be a task delegated to 'Customs' so maybe now Border Force have pulled this back in house? Maybe some inter departmental rivalry shenanigans promptee the notice?

My wife is an American citizen that had right of UK abode for the 26 years she lived with me in Poole and we travelled in/out of the UK many times by sea and air, so were careful always to follow the rules when nipping over for some duty frees. I asked the question Customs Officer on their SBS stand ages ago and was told they 'would appreciate a call but it was not a legal requirement'. Maybe post Brexit and associated immigration paranoia somebody has moved the goal posts a tad and BF is trying to dot some 'i's and cross some 't's' to avoid more bad press.