Has anyone test sailed the Bav 32

JeremyF

Visit site
Having seen the Bavaria 32 at the SBS, and then visited the stand 3 times on the LIBS, I remain amazed at the product package at the price.

Ive yet to take a test sail until Ive sold my Moody31, and am then seriously in the market.

What's its sailing performance like. Looking at its displacement, it weighs the same as the Moody 31, despite being 3.5 ft longer. Is it very tender?

Given all the wind we've had this autumn and winter, I'd appreciate some feedback from the 100's who've taken one out on a test sail since the shows.

Jeremy Flynn

www.yacht-goldeneye.co.uk

Landlubber

Visit site
For what it's worth, I've sailed Bav 34s quite a few times, which is the next model up. My opinion and others I've talked to much more knowledgable than me is that they are excellent value for money but you get what you pay for. They handle quite well up to about F5 but watch out for the gusts. I've been out in a F7 and it was just about OK. I wouldn't like to be out in a F8 in one. Consensus is that they are generally aimed at the Charter market in the Med, the bigger ones that is. I suppose the 32 is intended to be a family sailer. You could charter one from Liberty Yachts or Plymouth Sailing School.

kidnapped

Visit site
I chartered a Bav 38 for last year's R. the I. race, Frid F4 and B38 not a 'happy chappy' close hauled. Tendency to slam, as BenJen etc. Decided to leave this type of design [Shallow forefoot/ BIG rear end] and head for a real cruiser ... bit slower till the wind blows ... but comfort,sea keeping ability are important to me. Why can't we have these types of yachts available nearer BavBenJan prices? The big charter companies must have some yachts located in challenging sailing areas.

PhilipStapleton

www.radartutor.com
I have sailed our Bav 320 from new for 7 years - and it too was great value when we bought it. The secret is to reef early as it is sensitive to gusts and tends to round up when hard pressed on the wind, but Force 7 and even the occasional close encounter with the putty have presented no problems.

I can't comment if the build and fittings of the new model are of the same high quality and I'm banned from boat shows (at least my credit card is)

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
I asked them in detail about sailing characteristics, because I know someone who has a 31 which he races really weel in light airs but looks scary in a blow, even reefed. They acknowledged that the 31 was qjuite a skittish boat and went on to explain the differences in the new boat, viz a hull design and rig etc and how much better a boat it is. I would have thought it will be like the comments above, ok if reefed early, which is no big deal.

I often wonder how much it matters, if you can get a test sail great, but will it cover all the wind conditions, unlikely? Unless you have radical plans then odds are it will be ok, especially looking at the number sold, and as she is looks great value. As an aside I noticed a 31 at £52k with Opal, OK there might be a few extras, but against a 32 at £45k on the water?

cynthia

Visit site
No, but got a 34. Having had test sails, which were short and proved nothing, on previous boats, before we bought this we decided to charter for a fortnight. Not only did this give us a feeling for accommodation, but we encountered winds from nil to f7, so had an excellent opportunity to see how it really sailed.

We then decided to buy through the firm we chartered with. They gave us discount on a second charter (pre boat delivery) + a good deal on the new boat, so all costs were covered.

Send me an e-mail if you want details.

Whatever you decide, hope you make the right decision! It does have to be your own.

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Only going of what was splashed all over the boat at the show, of course extras will add to the bill but when I questioned them they confirmed that that was it. To be fair it was £45,??? and something, can't remember what exactly.

G

I've bought one and by the time you've added on all the bits you want, it comes out at about £51/52 k. It's easy to get carried away with 'extras'. Having spent £50k another few hundred here and there seems not to matter in the scheme of things, but beware, it all adds up!

ZEBEDEE

Visit site
I have a Bav 34 last year sailed from Douarnenez to Camaret in SW5/6 occ 7 and she went like a train with 2 reefs in Main and half headsail, We were in company with a Contessa 32 Dehlia 34 and Dufor 30 and although we were the last to leave Douarnenez as we were on the inside in Rhu we were 1st to Camaret by 20Min. At times the boat was sailing so fast that we were de powering the sails to try and slow her down before she turned into a submarine After we rounded the point Du Chevre and turned north speed on GPS was regestering 9.5 Knts and the Log 8.5 for a period of over 10 min (tide was with us at about 1 Knt.