Has anyone sailed or owned a Mariner 95 buit by Jutahela Oy, Seinajoki in Finland

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
I have been looking at a Mariner 95 built in Finland but there is no information at all in terms of sailing reviews on the internet so I was wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of these yachts.

Thanks

davidaprice

Visit site
Someone asked the same question on a Finnish forum three years ago, here's a cleaned-up Google translate of the response:
My mast is 12.5 metres. Weight at the moment 6200kg. Very sturdy and seaworthy boat. Quite a good sailor, likes strong wind. Very suitable for 2-4 people. Withstands grounding, I myself hit a rock at 6 knots and worried that the bottom was damaged but there was only a dent in the keel. The structure is solid laminate, which helps to explain the boat's weight. Originally the wheel was at the front right of the cockpit. I moved it to the back of the cockpit and bought the largest wheel that fit, now I can sail sitting on the cockpit coaming. In certain kinds of head-on waves lots of water splashes over. All in all a very functional boat.

There's a review in issue 9/1975 of Vene (Boat) magazine, but it's in Finnish and you need to be a subscriber to access their archive (25€), which I'm not.

Here are some for sale in Finland, for comparison (use Google Translate if you want to read the descriptions):
http://www.nettivene.com/purjevene/marina/604096
http://www.nettivene.com/purjevene/marina/641313
http://www.nettivene.com/purjevene/marina/560426

Concerto

Visit site
Here are some for sale in Finland, for comparison (use Google Translate if you want to read the descriptions):
http://www.nettivene.com/purjevene/marina/604096
http://www.nettivene.com/purjevene/marina/641313
http://www.nettivene.com/purjevene/marina/560426

There is a button with a Union flag at the top left that automatically translates most of the listing into English.

Look like a typical scandanvian built yacht with a lot of personalisation. These 3 yachts span 1979 to 1982, 2 have ketch rigs and one has a sloop rig and the middle age one has a sapelle interior whereas the other 2 have 2 teak. I would certainly go and view it, the main consideration would be condition and specification against other similar boats for sale. Naturally being a little known make, it will not be as easy to resell as something well known. This should also help in keeping the price you pay as low as well.

double_ender

Visit site
We have a Marina 75, just 25 feet, by Juta Hula. Photo attached. We have had her for 20yrs and is excellent for our west coast cruising . I think the 95 is a conventional yacht design compared with the deckhouse saloon of the 75. When I get home in a weeks time I will dig out a brochure which I think shows the 95, and I will add a post then.
Malcolm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 5

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
Someone asked the same question on a Finnish forum three years ago, here's a cleaned-up Google translate of the response:
My mast is 12.5 metres. Weight at the moment 6200kg. Very sturdy and seaworthy boat. Quite a good sailor, likes strong wind. Very suitable for 2-4 people. Withstands grounding, I myself hit a rock at 6 knots and worried that the bottom was damaged but there was only a dent in the keel. The structure is solid laminate, which helps to explain the boat's weight. Originally the wheel was at the front right of the cockpit. I moved it to the back of the cockpit and bought the largest wheel that fit, now I can sail sitting on the cockpit coaming. In certain kinds of head-on waves lots of water splashes over. All in all a very functional boat.

/QUOTE]

Thank you for the information, very interesting to hear the owner in Finland had moved the steering back to the rear of the cockpit as I was thinking along the same lines.

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
There is a button with a Union flag at the top left that automatically translates most of the listing into English.

Look like a typical scandanvian built yacht with a lot of personalisation. These 3 yachts span 1979 to 1982, 2 have ketch rigs and one has a sloop rig and the middle age one has a sapelle interior whereas the other 2 have 2 teak. I would certainly go and view it, the main consideration would be condition and specification against other similar boats for sale. Naturally being a little known make, it will not be as easy to resell as something well known. This should also help in keeping the price you pay as low as well.

Thank you
Been down to see it, access to the rear cabin is a a bit of a crawl but the boat looks very well constructed. Toilet is up in the bow with lots of room but wonder what it would be like to use in a head sea ?
As to your point about resale value, the asking price is very much lower than the three in Finland so going down again on Sat.

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
We have a Marina 75, just 25 feet, by Juta Hula. Photo attached. We have had her for 20yrs and is excellent for our west coast cruising . I think the 95 is a conventional yacht design compared with the deckhouse saloon of the 75. When I get home in a weeks time I will dig out a brochure which I think shows the 95, and I will add a post then.
Malcolm
I am sure I remember your boat when it was moored in Caladh. Always admired it. Thanks for offering to post info.
Regards

marina95

www.bonzomedia.co.uk
A good friend of mine has one. Ketch rigged, and much prettier with the mizzen mounted rather than not!

It is a very, very sweet boat to sail and one of the best balanced that I've experienced. We regularly set the sails up and let the boat track itself in a straight line. Fast too, she punches above her length for speed.

Downsides from my perspective are that she's quite narrow which means some restriction in width for the saloon berths, although these do pull out to make them wider. Aft cabin is spacious, but as another post suggests, you have to be flexible at the waist to bend down to walk through.

Last edited:

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
Jcorstorphine, Did you buy it?
Thanks for asking. I loved the yacht as it ticked a lot of boxes such as being ketch rigged, it had a solid wheel shelter, it was wheel steering but I felt the inside claustrophobic as quite dark below and no standing headroom in the walkway to the aft cabin or the aft cabin itself. It was very much a "climb down into" boat which my Wife found awkard.
Looking at the boat prompted a reality check as this boat purchase will be my last (72) so I am now looking at LM27s and Fisher25 etc.
Thanks to all.

Seatrout

Visit site
Thanks for asking. I loved the yacht as it ticked a lot of boxes such as being ketch rigged, it had a solid wheel shelter, it was wheel steering but I felt the inside claustrophobic as quite dark below and no standing headroom in the walkway to the aft cabin or the aft cabin itself. It was very much a "climb down into" boat which my Wife found awkard.
Looking at the boat prompted a reality check as this boat purchase will be my last (72) so I am now looking at LM27s and Fisher25 etc.
Thanks to all.
No, thank you, Sir.
I popped down to see her for myself and I share your opinions, as does SWMBO. Now 2 days later and 4 more viewings, we bought a well kitted Moody 33. Our needs were for family and grandchildren as well as our own comfort.

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
True but I was passing Ardrossan a couple of days ago and looked at her again from the road and still think it looked nice with the teak decks and wheel shelter. Enjoy you new Moody

buba

Visit site
I have been looking at a Mariner 95 built in Finland but there is no information at all in terms of sailing reviews on the internet so I was wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of these yachts.

Thanks
I have been sailing this boat for a 11 years mine was ketch but this summer I moved mizzen now I can rich stern much easier she is still sailing nice. she is not as fast as similar boats same size specialy on light wind but motion on a rough sea is very comfortable. To enternaft cabin you have to bend properly but it is roomy and cosy for sleeping. fuel tank is around 100 wich is enough and water 200 but biger should be better if Zou have any question do not hesitate to ask. I have some pics to send if You want
N.

shortyuk

Visit site
I have been sailing this boat for a 11 years mine was ketch but this summer I moved mizzen now I can rich stern much easier she is still sailing nice. she is not as fast as similar boats same size specialy on light wind but motion on a rough sea is very comfortable. To enternaft cabin you have to bend properly but it is roomy and cosy for sleeping. fuel tank is around 100 wich is enough and water 200 but biger should be better if Zou have any question do not hesitate to ask. I have some pics to send if You want
N.
Hi Buba,

I am aware this is a very old thread however I am currently looking at buying a Marina 95 I suspect its the same boat that Jcorstorphine was originally looking at as this one was once based in Ardrossan !

I wonder if you could give me an idea of what sort of cruising speeds you averaged under sail when she was a ketch? Also are there any issues you have had with the boat over the years that I might want to consider before committing to a purchase ?

Many Thanks :)

Supertramp

Visit site
Hi,

She is a lovely looking boat. I do not know the specific model but I have a 11m motorsailer ketch but with a long keel.

I passage plan at 5 knts. Given the Marina is heavy (6t?) and ketch rigged like mine but has a more efficient keel I would expect them to be similar. The boat is unlikely to point as close as a "normal" boat and will probably struggle in less than 10knts of wind unless reaching. I tend to motor if boat speed drops below 3 knts. Everything else is good - comfortable motion, carry full sail in 20 knts wind, easy to shorten sail, very comfortable under mizzen and jib. If sport sailing is your thing, look elsewhere, If you want a safe sturdy, comfortable yacht that will make passages easy and not scare you or crew it looks great.