Harwich to Ramsgate for relative begginer?

johnalison

Visit site
I understand you mean Baltics. Its beautiful place, especially north - Sweden, Finland. Although Poland has beautiful beaches - I haven't seen so nice sand anywhere in UK, maybe Walton on the Naze is close. And we have 500 km of those! But the ports are rather challenging to enter - although there is no tide. Here are some videos:

There is not much shelter for most of the coast.

But anyway, its too far for sailing for me. But one day, when I will do some papers, I am planning to charter a yacht there.

PS. There is also lot of sailing going on the lakes, with a lot of modern yachts. Fun fact: one of the modern lake sailers, Maxus 22, after some modifications, became the smallest yacht to circumnavigate non-stop.
It wasn't quite like that when we went there in 2004 but it was pretty blowy. We spotted what looked like a reef offshore. It turned out to be a fleet of Optimists for their championships. The next day it was far too windy for the cruisers to go out but the Oppies went off to race several miles offshore. I always thought the Poles were a bit mad.

slawosz

Visit site
It wasn't quite like that when we went there in 2004 but it was pretty blowy. We spotted what looked like a reef offshore. It turned out to be a fleet of Optimists for their championships. The next day it was far too windy for the cruisers to go out but the Oppies went off to race several miles offshore. I always thought the Poles were a bit mad.

Where did you went? Did you describe your journey? Would love to read how it looked from your perspective. Regarding being 'bit mad', it's more the way you have to live I suppose - for example, yacht cruising during 60' 70' 80' was quite specific - lot of this cruises could not stop in any foreign ports due to political situation, so people were just sailing around Baltic for 14 days - stopping in Polish ports was unpleasant due to Border Force being very nasty. So for 14 days, you had to live with whatever sea prepared for you. Yachts were basic, but very well designed and build, so really, your stomach was only thing that could stop you enjoy the cruise ;) Oh, and in order to get to such cruise you have to have certain certificate, and lot of experience, so crews were often very skilled. So for Western People, it might be unthinkable, but for Poles it was only way to the sea. And this culture still exists, at least partially. Oh, regarding 'bit mad', I could recommend books about conquering the Himalayas during winter.
And this is a viral video of Polish yacht entering Bornholm harbour - probably they had a discussion like 'we planned to visit Bornholm, we will visit Bornholm!

Anyway, I went bit off-topic. Looking forward to the weather forecast for next weekend, and hoping for at least 10 knots of wind S, W, N, N E so I won't need to tack or use the engine.

johnalison

Visit site
Where did you went? Did you describe your journey? Would love to read how it looked from your perspective. Regarding being 'bit mad', it's more the way you have to live I suppose - for example, yacht cruising during 60' 70' 80' was quite specific - lot of this cruises could not stop in any foreign ports due to political situation, so people were just sailing around Baltic for 14 days - stopping in Polish ports was unpleasant due to Border Force being very nasty. So for 14 days, you had to live with whatever sea prepared for you. Yachts were basic, but very well designed and build, so really, your stomach was only thing that could stop you enjoy the cruise ;) Oh, and in order to get to such cruise you have to have certain certificate, and lot of experience, so crews were often very skilled. So for Western People, it might be unthinkable, but for Poles it was only way to the sea. And this culture still exists, at least partially. Oh, regarding 'bit mad', I could recommend books about conquering the Himalayas during winter.
And this is a viral video of Polish yacht entering Bornholm harbour - probably they had a discussion like 'we planned to visit Bornholm, we will visit Bornholm!

Anyway, I went bit off-topic. Looking forward to the weather forecast for next weekend, and hoping for at least 10 knots of wind S, W, N, N E so I won't need to tack or use the engine.
Thanks for the reminiscences. We first visited Poland in 2004 and got to Gdansk. At that time we all had to stop and report at the immigration office at each port, which was always inconveniently placed near the entrance. There would follow a surreal encounter between an Englishman whose only Polish was "Two beers please" and a Polish chap with a gun who didn't speak a word of English. I thought it was great fun but my wife didn't. Since then we have been back many times, but no further than Darlowo. I think that Kolobrzeg was my favourite spot, but we were always greeted amicably. It has all now developed a lot, and accomodates a lot of German visitors, but I think that I preferred the organised chaos that previously reigned.

I don't know if you have been to Bornholm but it is a fascinating place. I don't recognise the harbour, though I think I have been to all the ones on the east coast, all of them having small entrances. The only one on the east that is always safe to enter is Tjehn, but I think that Nexo in the south is OK too.

slawosz

Visit site
I was to Bornholm once and then Christianso & Frederikso - I believe you visited those beautiful places too. The chap with gun - not something I ever experience - but I know it from lot of stories - was standard for sailors. They always were trained to suspect sailors, now it changed, as I understand (wasn't sailing in Poland for long time).
As we kind of hijacked the topic, let me post photo of Masurian Lake district - lot of lakes, very popular among sailors. Nowadays are very crowded, but for example my father has very fond memories from 70ties when he was sailing in 15 ft dinghy there for one month or so and there were just few dighies, sometimes yachts.

masurian lakes sailing - Google Search

johnalison

Visit site
The lakes look nice, a bit like our Broads but bigger. Christiansø & Frederiksø I've been to a couple of times. Their pigen herring is excellent and something they learned from the Scots.

This was our first sight of Gdansk, from a slide.
'04 baltic (42).jpg
'Our' spot in Kolobrzeg where we returned to several times before development, and sunset from there.
528 copy.jpg424.jpg

Swinoujscie as it was, and how it is now.
06d (9).jpgcruise '13 b (24).jpg

slawosz

Visit site
Lovely photos, I am glad you like those places. Lot of polish yachts has german/swedish ensign, as rules to have yacht under polish registry were ridiculously complicated and expensive, as well. I understand, it's much easier now.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Hello, I have one extra question: am I allowed to sail through Tongue Anchorage?

Yes. Just avoid hitting the ships :D

It is a good idea to watch out for them getting under way though. We'd just passed two anchored close together when i glanced behind to find that the one furthest away had weighed anchor and was steaming straight at us :0

I got out of the way a bit sharpish (because i could) even though technically i was the stand on vessel

(For the Colregs purists, my assessment was that having just weighed anchor and emerged from behind another vessel, i deemed it unwise to rely on them having established a good lookout. So i took the appropriate action to bugger off out of their path)

Denek

Visit site
We did Harwich to Ramsgate last Wednesday 30th. It was easy enough but a horrible sail with the wind dead astern and big rollers talk about the boat that rocked and it was wet too. My other half was feeling sick all the way. That said Ramsgate was really nice and the weather picked up whilst we were there. Spent 2 days there and we were intending to continue south but our schedule ( grandparents duty) has changed so we came back around to queenborough. we took a pontoon berth there and the staff were great but not much going on there. Lovely sail around to pyfleet for a night and then back to Harwich yesterday again a nice sail. Sitting at home now listening to the wind howling and glad we decided to cut things short.

slawosz

Visit site
So last year lack of confidence in engine and then covid and house move prevented the journey. To be better prepared for this year I bought brand new outboard and earlier this year switched to Sadler 25 for the more comfortable and less noisy (motoring) ride.

slawosz

Visit site
Little bragging, sorry ;)
I remember the support I got here when I sailed for the first time to Felixstowe from Blackwater and last year to Ramsgate. It was quite scary and wanted to be well prepared. But I guess I got some confidence and having now big boat (Sadler 25) ,well equipped - I decided to extend a little my cruising grounds and sailed from Blackwater to Falmouth and back earlier this year (15 April - 6 May) :) Was an excellent experience. I guess next will be Shetlands maybe Norway?

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Little bragging, sorry ;)
I remember the support I got here when I sailed for the first time to Felixstowe from Blackwater and last year to Ramsgate. It was quite scary and wanted to be well prepared. But I guess I got some confidence and having now big boat (Sadler 25) ,well equipped - I decided to extend a little my cruising grounds and sailed from Blackwater to Falmouth and back earlier this year (15 April - 6 May) :) Was an excellent experience. I guess next will be Shetlands maybe Norway?

Congratulations, and don't be afraid to brag, that's a fantastic achievement 😀

Shetland is on my list, let us know how you get on 👍

Other threads that may be of interest