Hank-on jib for furling?

Ship's Cat 73

Visit site
Advance apologies for convoluted question. When we got the boat ('78 Leisure 23) its jib had obviously had a previous life as a hank-on sail -- the eyelets are still there. It has a sewn-in boltrope which fits the furling foil so it's pretty much a 'normal' furling jib. Lurking in the forepeak locker were another 2 headsails, both of which are hank-on. While one of them still has the piston hanks the other one has sliders fitted into the hanks as in the photo. While both of the "found" sails are bigger than the current headsail we might wish to use one of them at a future time.
Question is:- Assuming the sliders fit in the foil groove, would that sail furl like a purpose made furling sail, and by that I mean would it furl properly round the foil?

20230111_124651.jpg

MoodySabre

Visit site
I don’t think that it would furl properly. A fuller winds the sail tight and the hanks would damage the sail. If the sail is in good condition then take the hanks and slides off. If the bolt rope doesn’t fit the fuller groove then the bolt top would need to be replaced.

Reactions: srm

graham

Visit site
If you removed the hanks and lashed the slides on it would furl better but not as good as a bolt rope in the groove.

Ship's Cat 73

Visit site
Thanks for your replies ~ just as I suspected, that wouldn't be the most practical arrangement.
Both of the other sails have boltropes sewn in, although we haven't yet tried to see if they'll fit in the foil.
That's for another day!