Hangkai outboard. Anyone got one?

prv

Visit site
There was someone on here a while back who bought one. Initially said it was pretty good - crude, but effective and hence good value for the money.

A few weeks later he came back again and said it was a piece of junk and he regretted ever buying it :D

Pete

norwester

Visit site
Hi!.. I bought a 3.5 water cooled version two years ago and it's still going, so far!
The basic engine performs well enough but I've had a lot of niggly little problems that have needed sorting out eg. recoil starter uncoiled, fuel line blockages,throttle cable detached itself and it needs a regular paintjob.....Essentially, You get what you pay for! Only buy one if you're prepared to tinker and pamper.

cliff

Visit site
Hi!.. I bought a 3.5 water cooled version two years ago and it's still going, so far!
The basic engine performs well enough but I've had a lot of niggly little problems that have needed sorting out eg. recoil starter uncoiled, fuel line blockages,throttle cable detached itself and it needs a regular paintjob.....Essentially, You get what you pay for! Only buy one if you're prepared to tinker and pamper.
And which Fleabay shop are you flogging them through? - cynical?, moi?
Have a look through some of the american forums - no one has a good word to say about them.

NealB

Visit site
And which Fleabay shop are you flogging them through? - cynical?, moi?
Have a look through some of the american forums - no one has a good word to say about them.

Maybe I'm just not particularly street-wise, but norwester's comments didn't read like typical salesmen's spiel to me!

I bought a cheap Chinese genset a few years ago, and would make pretty the same sort of comments about that.

dartmoor

Visit site
Yep, got one very cheap. My analysis - looks like the leg is a straight copy of a yamaha 2b leg. Powerhead probably adapted from a garden machine like a strimmer motor. Centrifugal clutch - so relies on fan and fins on head for cooling when idling - "idling" is actually very high revs! Impellor spins for water cooling when clutch engages at even higher revs. Really fussy motor to maintain though as all bolted together - many screws to undo just to change a spark plug!! I would say life expectancy - four years max. But possibly worth it if you get one that works as they are soo cheap. But as noisy as a having a strimmer on your transom. I bought mine partly out of curiosity, and partly as an secondary back up, as at 9 kilos, it is very very light!

Jim@sea

Visit site
I would only buy one if the supplying dealer was within 10 miles.
Treat the purchase like buying a car, If you bought a new Wartburg and the only UK importer was 200 miles away you would not buy it.
Personally I would rather buy an old 2stroke as if you come to sell it it would get bids on ebay but I would imagine a Chinese outboard would be hard to get rid of.
Mind you if they were any good their sales would have taken off.

dartmoor

Visit site
I would only buy one if the supplying dealer was within 10 miles.
Treat the purchase like buying a car, If you bought a new Wartburg and the only UK importer was 200 miles away you would not buy it.
Personally I would rather buy an old 2stroke as if you come to sell it it would get bids on ebay but I would imagine a Chinese outboard would be hard to get rid of.
Mind you if they were any good their sales would have taken off.

I thinks its fair to say there will never be a dealer for them in the UK, as technically they cannot be imported into the EU, as they are small two strokes which would not pass the emission regulations. Somehow container loads of them seem to get through - mine was sent from Portsmouth!

Dlessnow

Visit site
I just bought one Hangkai on ebay. I took it to a mechanic to check it. It starts on first pull. Mechanic said it was good. I also was able to register it and get title for it in Texas. The company who sold it to me was very fast answering my emails and sending the required paperwork. I only had a problem: They sent the serial number tag from China. When I attached it to the motor I damaged it and they are not answering me about a replacement. Sio if you will attach onem just be carefukl with the glue that you use. I used JB weld and it covered part of the serial number. I don't know if this will be a future problem.

dartmoor

Visit site
I just bought one Hangkai on ebay. I took it to a mechanic to check it. It starts on first pull. Mechanic said it was good. I also was able to register it and get title for it in Texas. The company who sold it to me was very fast answering my emails and sending the required paperwork. I only had a problem: They sent the serial number tag from China. When I attached it to the motor I damaged it and they are not answering me about a replacement. Sio if you will attach onem just be carefukl with the glue that you use. I used JB weld and it covered part of the serial number. I don't know if this will be a future problem.

might be different in the US - no chance of any sort of warranty in the UK I would say - so plaster any number tag you want here in UK - won't make any difference....

dartmoor

Visit site
Hmm,Interesting!... There was no serial number on the one I bought. I just stamped my own postcode on it.

When you consider these are bulk sold on alibaba for around 150 US dollars, they must be churned out at an even lower cost. So I don't they keep any records !