hanging off a swinging mooring

Lakesailor

Visit site
That'll be it. Mooring buoys on the lake just have a thin rod through to an eye on top. Only any use for mooring the tender to when you leave it behind.
In fact my new mooring had a buoy without a top eye fitted. I was going to ask to have an eyed type fitted, but then realised I'd get a lot less bashing of the stem from the naked buoy, so stuck with it.

oldharry

Visit site
I've tried chain and nylon strops at the same time and the chain corroded very badly at the water level. (maybe rubbish chain).
Another boat next to me on the moorings came off the buoy when his chain failed. That's a problem with them in that it's tricky to spot the proverbial weakest link.
I use two nylon strops shackled to the riser. Not too short as already said and one shorter than the other so one is the main one with the other as a fail-safe.
I also used to tie-down the strops to the foredeck cleat.
I have a s/s bollard on the foredeck now which (if you splice your own eyes) are a secure terminal for the strops.

Corroded chain

chainmooringstrop.jpg

.​

Definitely rubbish Chinese made chain. You can tell by the sheen on the galvanising which lasts about a week before it starts to fail. The steel used is much lower grade than decent stuff, so it corrodes and wears much more quickly too. This stuff is electroplated and only has a very thin layer of zinc which provides virtually no protection. Decent chain is hot dipped - more difficult and more expensive process, but giving a much tougher finish.​

Lakesailor

Visit site
It was very good value for money though. Free :D

However. It got the order of the boot as soon as I realised how poor it was.
(glad I used a back-up nylon strop)

stav

Visit site
I miss my swinging mooring in Portland harbour so much: one year only used the engine twice. Think everyone has said it all. If a blow was forecast I used to nip out (the joy of driving past your boat every day) and put an extra line on top of the chain on one cleat and the tubed nylon strop on the other cleat and take these lines to the winches and put a little tension on them so as to distribute the load a little more.

davidbfox

Bingley, West Yorkshire; boat on Windermere
Visit site
Where do you get your webbing strops from please? Purpose made or truck spares?

I was planning to change mine this month. When the wind was bad a few years ago one of my rope and chain ones parted within three weeks when I had an exposed mooring near Maiden Marine.

Dave

PS the red boat appears to have turned around since yesterday! I noticed a flag graphic on the transom. I think the same boat was also at Ferry Nab about three years ago again having broken free, that time with foresail flapping.

Last edited:

neilf39

www.konsortkoto.wordpress.com
I have successfully used a Shockle for two years. The mooring was not too exposed but still got 2 foot waves coming through. My yacht also swings through 50 degrees due to its windage so would snatch at all sorts of angles. It was horrible and loosened the bow fitting. I fitted a force 2 shockle and it damped it all out and never had a problem since. I was a bit worried about just using it with its alloy clips but they have not caused a problem. It is really just another form of snubber. It is very easy to attach and adjust so I took it with me when sailing to use elsewhere. My boat stays on the mooring for 7 months a year. I think it will last another year so will get 3 years use. BTW I have no attachment or interest in the company just happy with the product. I use another mini one as anti-snatch when towing the inflatable.

http://www.shockles.co.uk/bigshockles.html

Regards
Neil F

Lakesailor

Visit site
PS the red boat appears to have turned around since yesterday! I noticed a flag graphic on the transom. I think the same boat was also at Ferry Nab about three years ago again having broken free, that time with foresail flapping.
Late Arrival. A favourite wanderer. proves they are well built.

LateArrival01.jpg

looseheadsail1.jpg

LateArrivalAgain.jpg

and every year inbetween.​

By nylon strops I was meaning 3 ply nylon rope, not webbing.

Visit site
Does anybody know who makes the chain shock absorber I saw today. It looked like a length of chain encased in a thick rubber banana shape obviously intended to absorb shock by straightening out.

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
I have a three and a half ton boat on a drying swinging mooring. The chain lasts about three years, pickup chain wearing most. Bottom is mud and shell.
I have 14mm nylon rope doubling up the chain, cable tied to the chain, and a nylon mooring strop to the top swivel.

The serviced mooring further down the river used rope only and I don't think there's ever been a problem.

Seajet

Visit site
Agree with the comments re. have good backing plates under the mooring cleats.

Also if using nylon strops with a large permanently floating buoy ( rather than the pick-up ), beware the buoys often have barnacles underneath which make very efficient saws !!!

Also the weakest point which usually fails is the swivel.

Visit site
The serviced mooring further down the river used rope only and I don't think there's ever been a problem.

At my club in the Bristol channel ( so no Mickey mouse tides / currents here and all water is full of suspended silt and sand) all the moorings have 4 legs made of rope .With the exception of the occasional tug wandering through the moorings in winter, the only failures are the metal shackles that hold the moorings together. The ropes simply never need replacing.