Handle for seacock blocked

tsolo

Visit site
It is the outlet seacock of the head, it hasn't been used fir a while and I think the ball valve has seized up in the close position. Any suggestions to avoid having to replace it would be welcome! Thanks

MoodySabre

Visit site
You could try applying some heat to the body of the seacock to see if that breaks the seal.

Failing that, if you know that it is shut, you could take the hose of (standing by with a bucket) and get all the water out of it and leave it soaking with something to dissolve the saltcrystals or corrision caused by uric acid - white vinegar might do it.

srp

Visit site
I wouldn't do anything about it until the boat was out of the water. Then I'd remove the old one and throw it far away, and replace it with a new one, probably from someone like ASAP-Supplies.

tsolo

Visit site
Thanks

Many thanks for your responses, I will try the various options proposed! Have you got a recommendation to avoid this in the future when the head is not used for a while?

MoodySabre

Visit site
Pump lots of fresh water down the loo before you close the seacock - that should help. Do you know how many pumps it takes to clear soiled water out of your boat - a rough calculation on my boat was 20 pumps. If you leave any soiled water in the pipes then uric acid will cause the valve to stick.

sailorman

Visit site
You could try applying some heat to the body of the seacock to see if that breaks the seal.

Failing that, if you know that it is shut, you could take the hose of (standing by with a bucket) and get all the water out of it and leave it soaking with something to dissolve the saltcrystals or corrision caused by uric acid - white vinegar might do it.

the "Ball" is sitting in plastic seals, heat will poss damage.
replace it i would guess £15 or less

mikehibb

Visit site
After reading all the holding tank and stuck heads seacock threads on here I make sure that I operate the valve a few times every time I go on the boat wether it will be used or not.

After a few months on non operation it was a bit stiff, but gave it a few open and close operations and it freed up. I now do this every visit. ( to the boat not to the loo).

nealeb

Visit site
Another trick is to not quite turn the seacock right on. That means that you can try moving it both ways if it gets stuck. Not quite such a useful trick if it is stuck in the "off" position although it may be worth checking if it can be left just off the fully-shut position without leaking. I also give the seacocks a bit of on-off exercise every so often to try to keep them moving. One day, though, I know that the handle on one of them is going to come off in my hand...

MYStargazer

yachtstargazer.wordpress.com
I use a splash of sunflower oil (in the water, after a flush, and flushed through again) now and then to ease the mechanism. Perhaps this might help prevent the seacock from sticking, too.

jusw

Visit site
I had a very similar problem last winter when the boat was on hard ground - the seacock was seized open and a fellow forumite suggested that if I could move the valve even a small amount, I flush vegetable oil through the system - this I did several times (bucket under the outlet) and after only a couple of minutes working to and fro the ball valve came free.

Now if your seacock is well and truly stuck closed, you probably won't be able to get the oil down there because I imagine there will be water above it and of course the oil will float on top of the water. So I reckon the only chance you have will be to remove the discharge hose from the spigot on the inward side of the seacock, if you can do this you may be able to use a rag down the spigot to soak up any water and then use a easing oil or the vegetable oil to fre things up.

I tried just extending the handle to get more leverage, but the handle just bent and was about to tear off completely so I stopped!

I did consider removing the seacock, but mine was sealed in place with some sort of hard sealant and I couldn't see how to remove it without disturbing the skin fitting - I could see the job growing arms and legs ! - So I'd spend a little time with the oil trick before taking any drastic action.

JuSw