Hand-held VHF radio suggestions

CM74

Visit site
We use these at work: IC-M25EURO : Handheld Marine VHF Radio - Icom UK
Much lighter than the old cobra one I have on the boat and most importantly it can be charged by USB so you don't need to carry around an enormous charger with you, just use whatever you charge your phone or tablet with!
They have a good clear sound and seem to stand up well to commercial use/abuse.
Not DSC though, but that depends on whether you want that feature or not

jwfrary

Visit site
Dsc handhelds I regard as good for kayaks. Battery life suffers as a result of the gps.

My trusty now 10 year old icom m71 lasts a good few days in commercial use on it's original battery cant say better than that!

Owl @ 6s and 7s

Visit site
I also recommend the Standard Horizon HX890E handheld which I use with the optional MH-73A4B speaker/microphone.
NB. An alkaline battery case is also included (5 x AAA). But using that will limit the maximum TX power to 1W

Mark-1

Visit site
Love my SH HX300. I've dropped it in the drink by accident - it floated and the light came on. It's had over five years of abuse and misuse by children from 0-10yo. It's been taken kayaking and on RIBs. No grumbles at all.

One thing I would say is I have personal experience that ICOMs customer service is staggeringly good. So that might be a factor in my next radio purchase:

Icom ic-m411 vhf - Tx fine, Rx doesn't properly detect incoming signal.

Last edited: