Hand crank pin

PabloPicasso

Visit site
I have a good volvo 2001. It has a starting handle in addition to the elctric start

However, the pin is missing on the engime crank, so the handle has nothing to push against.

Is it straight forward to put a bolt through as a replacement? Would an ordinary bolt be to soft and just bend when the hand crank is turned? It'd be quite a thin bolt. The replacement ement volvo part is expensive and woulf need the engine dismantled to fit.

penfold

Visit site
Pin is missing or broken off? If just missing then it may be a standard size and could be replaced with a roll pin. If broken then you'll need to drive out the remains, but replacement is the same.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Pin is missing or broken off? If just missing then it may be a standard size and could be replaced with a roll pin. If broken then you'll need to drive out the remains, but replacement is the same.
Ok, its just a rolled cotter pin that is missing? That shouldn't be too hard to replace.

I guess a carbon steel one would be alright, no need for stainless in this application?

Last edited:

penfold

Visit site
It's a while since I looked at a MD200x so I looked at the parts diagram; weirdly the component is appears to be two roll pins, apparently one inside the other. The parts are available, items 7 and 7A. Carbon steel should be fine.

Last edited:

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Seems I have a choice of (claimed) manganese steel material, or carbon steel.

Which would be better for this application, or does it make no difference?

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I understand that the pin was often not fitted on Volvo 200x engines; don't know on what rationale! But as these engines don't have a massive flywheel, the crank is in chocolate teapot territory as far as starting the engine goes, unless you have a tame gorilla handy! It's really there to turn the engine over, and a socket on the crankshaft does just as well for that. But as there's no massive flywheel, you can't get the engine spinning fast with the decompression lever engaged and then disengage the decompressor so the flywheel takes it through a compression stroke or two, hopefully starting the engine. While these engines don't have massive compression ratios, you'd still struggle to get it through the compression stroke fast enough to start it using the crank. Not saying it isn't possible - but you'd need to be strong to do it

PabloPicasso

Visit site
I understand that the pin was often not fitted on Volvo 200x engines; don't know on what rationale! But as these engines don't have a massive flywheel, the crank is in chocolate teapot territory as far as starting the engine goes, unless you have a tame gorilla handy! It's really there to turn the engine over, and a socket on the crankshaft does just as well for that. But as there's no massive flywheel, you can't get the engine spinning fast with the decompression lever engaged and then disengage the decompressor so the flywheel takes it through a compression stroke or two, hopefully starting the engine. While these engines don't have massive compression ratios, you'd still struggle to get it through the compression stroke fast enough to start it using the crank. Not saying it isn't possible - but you'd need to be strong to do it
Well that puts a good perspective on it. Maybe I'll just save 12quid on a roll pin kit and leave it alone. 🤔

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Well that puts a good perspective on it. Maybe I'll just save 12quid on a roll pin kit and leave it alone. 🤔
Just FYI, a useful trick if your battery is down is to engage the decompressor, spin the engine with the starter motor and then disengage the decompressor while the starter motor is still turning it over. With no compression, the load on the starter motor is slight, so it can get the engine turning quickly enough for it to start when the compression comes back on. Had to do that once; worked like a charm!

scottie

Visit site
I have a good volvo 2001. It has a starting handle in addition to the elctric start

However, the pin is missing on the engime crank, so the handle has nothing to push against.

Is it straight forward to put a bolt through as a replacement? Would an ordinary bolt be to soft and just bend when the hand crank is turned? It'd be quite a thin bolt. The replacement ement volvo part is expensive and woulf need the engine dismantled to fit.
As above officially No it doesn’t have a hand start option
but it does have a method if turning the engine over with a crank handle and the connection is a roll pin or even two pinstripe
it may be possible to hand start a warm engine especially one with decompression levers but the lifeboat (SOLAS) version did have a proper hand start option