Hamble mooring waiting list - at current rates more than 200 years!

benjenbav

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Marinas are full of boats that rarely, if ever, go to sea. The posher the marina, the more 'country cottage' boats you'll find.

[/ QUOTE ]

I happened to be reading the small print in my (Chichester Marina) terms and conditions a little while ago and noticed that all boats are required to go out of the marina through the lock on a minimum of two occasions per year.

I'm not convinced that condition is universally adhered to. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

burgundyben

Visit site
And lets not loose sight of the fact there there are many other moorings available on the river than through the harbour office, marinas, boat yards, Royal Thames, Royal southern, RAFYC, HRSC, Tucker and Munday, Pink Ferry, Mayflower Marine, Hamble Parish Council has a few mud berths and so it goes on..

Birdseye

Visit site
Re: Hamble mooring waiting list - at current rates more than 200 years

[ QUOTE ]
Wonderful to see the sheep still keeping away from the East Coast.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the Bristol channel. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
I was lucky enough to 'inherit' my Hamble river trots mooring when I brought my first boat from a WSC member who was leaving the area.. Went straight on the list for a mooring in my own name and it came up 12 years later.. The next year I sailed away and have never kept a boat in the UK since for more than a few months....

The Hamble list is much better than the La Rochelle 'list'.

It costs €15 a year to be on the La Rochelle/Les Minimes list but the list it is not actually published or displayed anywhere. When I ask 'what is my position on the list for a permanent berth?' a little smile appears and the answer is 'We have so many different berths it is impossible to make a list. When a berth becomes free we allocate a boat that is suitable'!!!!

What this actually means is that the guys running La Rochelle/les Minmime just hand them out as they want!! Some English friends of mine sailed in, parked up, and have a permanent berth... What list they asked me?

To say it is irritating is to understate it so I think that the Hamble River Authority are honest, true and fair... Wish I could say the same for the La Rochelle lot!

Mind you if you are there with a boat there will nearly always be a place and when the new extension opens shortly I think it will wipe out the 'list'.

Birdseye

Visit site
Re: Hamble mooring waiting list - at current rates more than 200 years

[ QUOTE ]
One problem is that it costs more to keep an unused boat ashore in a boatyard than to leave it afloat on its mooring - bizarre but true. The solution would be to increase the cost of a mooring significantly (which would not be popular).

Hope this helps

[/ QUOTE ]

We have the reverse problem at our club - free storage ashore so we have 50 or more boats never launched, and moorings unused. Mind you, before anyone asks "where?" you need to be a local because there are no staff to keep an eye on moored boats on behalf of owners living miles away.

The real problem is shortage. Lots of areas on the south coast where new marinas and moorings could be put, but even more nimbys and a powerful bird watching / rambling lobby that recognise no one elses interests as valid. The one yottie we had in power (Heath) did nothing about it though the problem was obvious at the time.