Hafren Round Britain

Snifter

Visit site
Hi all,
Paddling the last bit into Gairloch harbour with no wind. I tried the sailing club for help, but no answer, so posted on their FB page saying Hafren is in no danger, but if anyone fancies towing them in it would get them to a beer quicker, and any help with the boat would be appreciated when they do get in. I've just had an acknowledgement from someone saying they'll see what they can do. �� great help has been provided on the stops so far. Thanks from the Hafren crew, who look forward to calling in to more clubs as they go round.

Snifter

Visit site
Hafren is sailing out of Gairloch Bay in what looks like light winds, well stocked up again with gas, and a great night in the Myrtle, and some beer with Gairloch Boat Club members.
I've just read again Ron Pattenden's description of rounding Cape Wrath in his Laser in Chapter 10 of Land on my Right. I hope their rounding is a little less eventful!
The firing range starts up at 1000 Tuesday, so there is an incentive to get round fast. Next port of call should be Scrabster.

Snifter

Visit site
Slow but steady progress up towards Cape Wrath today. The reason for the erratic track at one point today is that they met some friends of Jeremy's from Nanosight, and stopped for tea on their Hallberg!
The challenge now is to get through the firing range before it goes live again at 1000. The range knows about Hafren and her call sign and tracker, and Hafren has the phone numbers for the range. Wind is light, but the tide is now with them.

Snifter

Visit site
I'm glad you are enjoying it - they are amazing, and trying to take advantage of the good weather. It won't last!
Another long slow night, but as forecast the wind picked up a few hours ago, and they are now averaging a steady 5kts. They are getting closer to Cape Wrath, and they or we will check the firing times when we know their time of arrival more accurately. If they can go through, great, but if not, the range extends 4 miles offshore and 8 miles east of the Cape, so they will need to detour north for about an hour before bearing away for Scrabster. That's not too significant if the conditions are favourable. The wind will be behind them from then on, around force 4, so it should be a good leg.

Snifter

Visit site
Cape Wrath rounded in style! There was supposed to be dive bombing between 1200 and 1230, and all clear at 1300, but they were allowed to go the inshore passage, which they did at speed, as the tracker points show them careering across rocks, whereas I'm sure they did a smooth and controlled rounding!
The wind is fair for Scrabster tonight, but it'll be late when they get in.

Snifter

Visit site
Hafren is approaching Scrabster, and should be in soon after 2200, after what they described as a 40 mile surf from Cape Wrath. They sound elated, but tired, so tomorrow will probably be a rest day to recover. The RNLI has organised a welcome for them tonight, including at least one beer, the thought of which is keeping them going. Thanks, Karen for making all the arrangements in Scrabster!
There was a photographer at Cape Wrath, so photographs of their rounding in a force 5 in the rain can be seen on the Facebook and Twitter feeds from www.xtremedinghycruising.com, as well as the tracker. The tracker is under the Mapping heading, and Click on the links on the right of the header bar to get to FB and Twitter.

Snifter

Visit site
A rest day in Scrabster today, and time to do minor repairs on the boat - one of the cockpit floorboards was delaminating - and recharge batteries, both electrical and physical. The RNLI and Pentland Firth YC have been very helpful, and the latter took the Hafren crew through all the charts and timetables, and their local knowledge of the next stage. The Pentland Firth is a serious stretch of water, particularly in a small boat.
Departure should be around lunchtime on Friday, and after Dunscanby Head Hafren will finally turn south. It looks quite windy over the next couple of days, so plans for the next stopover will remain fluid for a bit.
The Facebook site has a great video of Hafren at Cape Wrath yesterday. Se posting above for details.

Snifter

Visit site
Hafren leaves Scrabster in a few hours to face the Pentland Firth and John O'Groats and Duncansby Head before starting the long voyage down the East Coast. There is now a video of them at Cape Wrath taken by a friend of one of the crew who flew up to Inverness on Tuesday, hired a car, then chartered a fishing boat, and was there to capture their arrival on film.
Great hospitality from the RNLI and Pentland Firth YC - thanks!

Snifter

Visit site
Thanks, Harbourlight! It's addictive, isn't it?
Great article in the John O'Groat's Gazette. Thanks, Catriona! You were very true to what I said, except you didn't comment on their sanity! Also just received copy of the Manx Independent article from (I think) the RNLI in Port St Mary who also returned a waterproof bag for a mobile they must have left behind. Thanks again for your help and support!
(These can be seen on the Hafren Facebook page).
Amazing progress today thanks to Pentland Firth YC advice, and they seemed to have no trouble getting to and rounding Duncansby Head and starting the southward journey. I spoke to them off Wick, and they have de powered the boat to about 5.5kts, and are revelling in a force 5, sunshine and flat sea. They are aiming for Portsoy, but should soon change course for Fraserburgh, and then decide how far on to go.

Snifter

Visit site
I heard from Hafren at 2020, and all is well. They are making good progress towards Fraserburgh, and the wind has eased a bit. They will probably keep on for another 24 hours at least.
I've posted about Hafren on Scuttlebutt as well now. They are on the home run, and although a long way still to go, it would be great to get lots of sailors supporting their challenge. How long can they get favourable winds?

Allan

Visit site
Snifter, can you put a link/name or something for the Facebook page please. I've tried to find them and failed so far!
Allan

Snifter

Visit site
Hi Allan.
Have you managed to get on to www.xtremedinghycruising.com? If so, click the Facebook page on the right of the bar at the top of the page and you should get through. Let me know if you still can't.
The alternative is to search on Facebook for xtremedinghycruising .
I hope that works.

Snifter

Visit site
I've posted on the Scuttlebutt page now as well, as I think/hope the voyage might be of interest to a wider audience than just those of us who cruise the Bristol Channel. I'm not sure if this breaks any rules, but if it catches on I may stop these posts and focus on the other forum. If Scuttlebutt viewers aren't interested, I'll continue here while you are enjoying the ride.
Great progress from Hafren overnight. The crew are on track for their best 24hr run, and have taken full advantage of the strong following wind overnight to finish the crossing of the Moray Firth, pass Fraserburgh and Peterhead, and they are now approaching Aberdeen. The wind eases gradually over the next 24hrs, so it looks as though they have got the kite back up, as they have been showing over 6kts over the ground again. Making hay while the sun shines!

Snifter

Visit site
I spoke to the Hafren crew at 0915. They had had a rough ride round Rattray Head. They depowered the boat by dropping the main entirely and lashing the boom in the boat, which ensured they kept control, but it was not pleasant! Under jib alone it was very bumpy, but Wayfarers are tough old boats, and they are still feeling good - if damp! They intend to continue over the next night and into Sunday. We are now planning the next stopover, so we can try and line up some shore support when they land.
The wind is going to ease over the next 24hrs, so they won't manage anything like the 124 miles recorded in the 24hrs since leaving Scrabster.

Snifter

Visit site
After the excitement of the first 24hrs out of Scrabster the last 6 have been very slow and frustrating. The wind was forecast to ease to 7 to 12mph at Arbroath at 1900, but in that area it has been a glassy sea and slatting sails for some time now. While talking to Jeremy he dropped his phone when a dolphin surfaced right by him! The most exciting thing to happen for a bit, but the crew is relaxing, catching up on sleep and food, and hoping to make some progress down towards North Berwick or Eyemouth. If they start going backwards they'll find a beach to rest on till the tide changes. Next call will be 0900 on Sunday. The wind is unlikely to do much till Monday.

Snifter

Visit site
After the drama of the previous night, last night was slow, and a good opportunity for sleep and contemplation. They have now also started to develop the marine equivalent of the American sport of cow toppling - gannet toppling! They sneak up on sleeping gannets and can get within 2 boat lengths before the birds wake up and depart in a flurry of squawks and flapping wings.
They have a reasonable wind and tide, so plan to get to Eyemouth, and beyond, perhaps as far as Amble before coming ashore. There are a couple of other possible stopovers if the wind dies again.

Snifter

Visit site
In the end the Hafren crew stopped on Holy Island. The wind died again and the tide had turned so Seahouses and Amble became a bit too far to sail before dark, and they needed a beer!
The wind is again variable tomorrow, so progress will be slow, or they may decide to have a day off.
Still, 222nm from Scrabster in one leg is the second longest they've managed, and around 60 hours at sea.

Snifter

Visit site
Hafren's crew had a good night in their tents last night, although J now finds it physically impossible to sleep for more than 4hrs. There was also the moaning of 100+ seals on the spit near them! P slept very well though. They have breakfasted, and plan to leave soon to amble down to Amble in the light westerly. That will give them a chance to re provision properly before another long leg in the stronger winds forecast for tomorrow. They met some sailors from Coquet SC in Amble last night, so that is likely to be their destination.