Gypsy 30 Catamaran

Stingo

Visit site
I've come across a Gypsy 30 plywood catamaran that is within my meager budget. It was home built in 2006 by the current owners who are selling up for health reasons. Do any of you have an opinion about the design, sailing capabilities or warnings about this potential boat?
By the way, it hasn't been listed on any sites yet, so I'm unable to offer more details than the above.

stephen_h

Visit site
I assume this is Richard Woods designed Gipsy?

I haven't see one but do own one of his catamrans and they are well designed by a sailor for sailors!

30' should be enough space to live but some will say a bit small for ocean sailing but smaller cats
have circumnavigated. You can contact Richard Woods since he is still designing boats and I am
sure will answer any questions.

As with any boat a survey is money very well spent. I would recommend Nick at Hardy Marine Solutions Ltd.
He has built and sailed cats.

Good luck (y)

Bajansailor

Visit site
Just being pedantic, I think the Gypsy is 28' rather than 30', unless your chap made her longer?
Sailing Catamarans - Gypsy - 8.5m Budget Offshore Cruiser with central cuddy

Whereabouts is she in the Caribbean? I am a marine surveyor in Barbados, but I know of surveyors in most of the other islands.

I bought a set of study plans for the Gypsy from Richard 20+ years ago - I had a dream about building one, but sadly that never happened, as other things got in the way.
I can confirm though that Richard's designs are very good, after being on board a few, and sailing on his Eclipse here (after she had had a text book crossing from the Canaries about 15 years ago).

Stingo

Visit site
You are correct about it being 28ft. The seller said "oops, sorry". I'm still struggling to get recent photos out of them - they're now aware that I've done a right-click, properties and checked the date of their photos. Oops no 2!

Stingo

Visit site
Grenada. Will post a photo once I've lost interest in her - I don't want someone else snatching her up while I'm dilly-dallying about. Sorry, I've got so much still to learn, so don't need any competition from anyone with plenty of experience.

Bajansailor

Visit site
I have a surveyor friend in Grenada who could go and have a look at her for you, maybe just an initial inspection to take up to date photos and then you could decide if you want to proceed further?
I very much doubt that anybody else will snatch her up in a hurry - there are a lot of boats for sale in the Caribbean (a lot more than what you might see if you do a search on Yachtworld and type in 'Caribbean' as the region).
And Captain Sensible makes a very valid point above.......

Edit - if you were to buy her, would you want to stay in the Caribbean, or head west, or take her back to Europe, or......... ??

Stingo

Visit site
What the good Captain Sensible says makes good sense, but I'll pursue this just a little longer. Wherever I end up buying a boat, I'll stick around there until I'm confident enough to venture further afield.
Someone off a facebook group has recommended Neil batchelor in Grenada. I haven't made contact with him yet - am waiting for the sellers to send recent photos. If they don't, I'll move on... so no point yet in filling Neil's wallet with my hard-earned - if that makes sense?
Thank you for your great suggestions so far.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Geez, who hit that catamaran with an ugly stick?

Ummm, she is a lot more attractive than many house boats, she functions well as a house boat (she even has two double aft cabins) and she can sail as well.
Ok, she will not sail like a witch to windward, but all boats are compromises.

There is even a group for Heavenly Twins on Facebook - Heavenly Twins Catamaran Group

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest