Gunnal replcement

alandav123

Visit site
Hi all, I have made a start to replace the gunnels around the stern of my vessel. I am a decent general semi pro DIY and have been reading a lot about wooden bots, woodworking techniques etc even started acquiring the gear for this job as there are other bits needing done but I digress.
I cut away the old metal hand rails exposing the gunnals and removed the old plywood mess the last owner had made in an effort to replace the gunnal. My question is whats the best way to go about doing it. The frames coming up through the deck are pretty bashed up so I am guessing fix noggings to these given the new top piece something to rest on OR should I cut the remaining frames flush with the deck ( just asking ) then start afresh although the angles etc camber etc might get confusing.
So my plan thus far, cut and attach new uprights at heights keeping to the line,. Then make cardboard template of whats needed for topside peices probably doing it in 3 bits joined together with either dowels, biscuits etc , then screw down the new bits leaving only to fill in the sides effectively hiding the new uprights etc etc...

Thats the general plan anyway and I would welcome and constructive input from you guys out there with more wood experience than I, my apprenticeship was an HGV mechanic so woods a mystery in many ways,

I have some pics but they are too big will need to go reduce them to under 100kb

Regards Alan

alandav123

Visit site
Here are daytime pics of the stern....

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
FWIW

I would cut the existing stumps below the deck to at least four times what they protrude above the deck. That is, if the height between the deck and the capping is 6" I would cut the frame 24" below the deck. Make a template and cut a replacement out of similar wood and scarph them together. Cut two sister frames that start at just below the deck and extend downwards past the scarph, trim and shape to fit snugly against the planking and glue with epoxy and dowels. The two side pieces may be 2/3 of the frame thickness (each piece). Take care not to glue the new reinforced frame to the planking. Repeat for all the frames affected. Re-fasten the planking with the usual roves. Cut and fit the new capping.