Guitar stowage

Burnham_Bob

Visit site
Bunk is a good idea but the environment of a boat is not the ideal one for a guitar.
I decided not to take my Martin D35 on the boat at all, Instead I bought a cheapie Squier acoustic which we take away with us. On the basis that all we'll want the guitar for is sing songs and maybe for me to work out why i can't play fingerstyle the way i used to when i practiced a lot, the Squier which cost me £65 in Denmark Street is perfectly adequate. Alongside the Martin the difference is incredible but in the cockpit at anchor with a bottle of red wine the Squier sounds fine. I see you aren't in the UK but even so you may well find you can pick up a good sounding guitar quite cheaply - UK prices are inflated and these days the Koreans and Chinese knock out guitars that aren't half bad compared to the awful cheapie guitars you and I probably learnt on - assuming you are the same age as me and learnt to play in the 60s and 70s.

If it's a good guitar and you want to take it with you, a Hiscox Lite Flite case is probably the best idea. They run out at about £90 or maybe less and they are hard shell aluminium which will stand up to most hard knocks so stowing the guitar is sinply a matter of jamming the case somewhere it won't move or get in the way.

Still not sure that being on a boat - even in a good case is the best place for a good guitar. Or maybe if you're a classical guitarist not much of the above is relevant!

doug748

Visit site
I use a hard case which is fine and can be jammed in any handy place such as the quarter berth. Be careful though, unless the guitar is frmly held in the case it will rub badly, due to the motion of the boat. No problem with a cheap instrument but...

mikehibb

Visit site
SWMBO has decreed that my guitar will NEVER be on board.

Obviously she is very sensative and might I say a bit embarassed that she is slightly in the shadow when compared to my musical talents. So in order not to make her feel inadequate when it comes to a general sing song and jam session, I have reluctantly agreed not to take the guitar.

This has nothing to do with the fact that she bought me the guitar and I can still not play any recognisable tunes.

But what she does not realise is that in my former life (before meeting SWMBO) I was actually quite profficient on the trumpet, and I have still got it.

Last post and lowering of the ensign I believe is the correct procedure.

bazobeleza

faro, portugal, & Liverpool for my sins, this year
Visit site
-----------------------------------------------------------------
'I decided not to take my Martin D35 on the boat at all'
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Take a D35 on board a boat!

I'd probably only take it out once a year to worship it!!

Get a grip man, how could such a thought cross your mind?

mick

Visit site
Am I the only one who feels aggrieved that a quiet anchorage can be spoilt by someone nearby deciding that I must listen to his amateur music making?

Orla

www.yachtorla.com
I used to collect guitars until we moved aboard Jan 2008, had to sell a lot of them but kept my three favorite, Just sold my Gibson Semi so now down to two Acoustics which i will never sell.
One is a very special Gibson the other a very old Yamaha, I was really concerned about them getting damaged with the changes in humidity.
I keep them both in there case's (good quality) and service them regularly, so far no problems.
If I kept them out all the time they would just get wrecked.

Kawasaki

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
No!. I guess thats why I get a round of applause when I stop 'making music' on my harmonica! Many apologies if you have heard me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob, do you play a Chromatic Harmonica by any chance?

mick

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Noting your location, I take it you will not object to my anchoring near you before tuning up the Pipes? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, everything in its place.

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
I would not let my Stratocaster within a mile of our boat ( In any case, the amp would probably blow out the inverter). However, my wife does take her ukulele, which takes up a lot less space, but is a bit of a pain as hand luggage on an aeroplane! But with all our lot on board there is no such thing as a spare bunk

Headbone

Visit site
You might put a line around its neck, then tow it, as you would a punt.

This will swiftly result in a 'no guitar situation', which according to recent surveys is preferred by 96.5% of respondents.

hornblower

Visit site
I hve to admit some sympathy for your point of view and would not allow a quiet anchorage to be disturbed by noise/music from our boat.

Until recently I would not have dreamed of bringing a musical instrument to the boat. However, we have had a number of evenings when we have joined others that have guitars and no-one else was there to be disturbed - and they were great social events. On one occasion we met a Polish crew who did not have a single word of English between them but we all sang and some played - it was a night to remember.

Music has its place and as long as it does not disturb I have come to agree with SWMBO that the guitar must be brought to the boat.

noswellplease

Visit site
I play the guitar but when on the boat I like to give it a break. I have thoughts though of bringing my golf clubs as there are some nice courses in the general area. But I think I would feel a bit embarrassed going ashore with them over my shoulder.