Guernsey ?

Simes

Visit site
Any one Liveaboard in the Channel Islands?

We are looking to live and work in the Channel Islands, probably in Guernsey, what is it like there as a liveaboard?

Are liveaboards allowed in the States of Guernsey?

Beaucette looks nice, Victoria also looks nice.

We are currently living and working on the Isle of Wight and like our lives very much but the point of living on a boat is that we can move and live elsewhere. It is about time that we moved.

Simes

Sundowner Portofino

Visit site
We are not liveaboards but got weather bound in Beaucette last Summer for a couple of weeks.

Great marina with a lively liveaboard community that were very welcomeing. A lot of them see to work full/part time for the marina so they know the place well, the chap that runs the marina is very nice. It is privately owned by someone who seems to care about the place which makes a nice change.

Should be a good resturant there now / opening soon, and it is only a short drive to the main town.

You could do a lot worse I reckon.

Good luck

guernseyman

Visit site
Are liveaboards allowed in the States of Guernsey?

I believe Beaucette Marina is phasing liveaboards out. The Victoria Marina is for visitors.

N.B. The States is the name of the government, the Bailiwick of Guernsey is the full title of the island.

You cannot work in Guernsey without a Right to Work document, for which you need to legally housed in Guernsey, and to do that you need either to live on an Open Market house, or have a Housing Licence. The latter is associated with a job which is "essential" to the island.

If that all sounds a bit restrictive - it is! We are a small community that could easily be swamped by incomers.

UK people often moan that it isn't fair when Guernsey people have the right to live and work in the UK. But it is a question of relative size of population: small communities have a recognised right to protect their culture. Our right, shared with Ireland, to travel freely to and live in the UK is not an absolute right and ultimately we are grateful to the UK for keeping it open.

Simes

Visit site
Dear Guernseyman,

Thanks for the full and complete reply. Sorry about the error in my description of The State of rather than the Bailiwick of Guernsey.
I take onboard all that you say, however we are not itinerant workers and have an offer of a 10 year permanent housing licence.
No one is moaning about any form of restrictive practise, this is just the first pass to see if we can live onboard or do we have to rent?
Our issue is that we want to live and continue to live onboard our floating home. If that is not allowed then we may have top look elsewhere for work, or rent a small flat on the Island.

Thanks for your help,

Simes

guernseyman

Visit site
No one is moaning about any form of restrictive practise, this is just the first pass to see if we can live onboard or do we have to rent?
Our issue is that we want to live and continue to live onboard our floating home. If that is not allowed then we may have top look elsewhere for work, or rent a small flat on the Island.

OK , a few more details.

I believe it is legal to live in a tent - caravans are not allowed to be lived in.

There is nothing to stop you living aboard at anchor; although I guess there is nowhere that would be sheltered from all winds so you would need to ready to move for an unfriendly wind. Havelet, for example, is sheltered from all except SE winds and 5 minutes from the harbour and marina for perfect shelter. Having walls on two sides it is a cauldron in the wrong wind.
If you would wish to winter ashore there are any number of winter lets i.e. out-of-season self-catering accommodation.

www.jamesmarinero.com
Havelet?

OK , a few more details.

I believe it is legal to live in a tent - caravans are not allowed to be lived in.

There is nothing to stop you living aboard at anchor; although I guess there is nowhere that would be sheltered from all winds so you would need to ready to move for an unfriendly wind. Havelet, for example, is sheltered from all except SE winds and 5 minutes from the harbour and marina for perfect shelter. Having walls on two sides it is a cauldron in the wrong wind.
If you would wish to winter ashore there are any number of winter lets i.e. out-of-season self-catering accommodation.

IMHO Havelet can be V uncomfortable in sustained SW heavy winds, even NE when there is a couple of days duration of blow. The scend finds its way round, though it does depend on which was the stream is rushing...

J

ALPHORA

Visit site
Hi Simes
nice to hear you are moving your lovely schooner at last. I don't want to be negative but I suspect you may have problems if you want to take your sea dog with you to Guernsey. We had a couple of months in Victoria and enjoyed it thoroughly. The staff at the marina couldn't have been more helpful, might be worth contacting them directly with your plans, best wishes
Dave and Linda