Guernsey in strong NE or E winds

dunedin

Visit site
First time here - and Victoria marina is very busy and rafted due to the strong wind forecast for the next few days.

Trouble is the winds are varying between North East and Easterly so shelter is poor. For 6 hours in each 12 the boats are getting pasted with swell coming into the inner harbour when rises above the cill.
Tomorrow according to XC could be over 40 knots overnight so could be even worse.

The outer harbour is rafted and getting the swell 24 hours a day so worse.

Any options? Alderney is out, both no shelter and not to get to. Jersey also probably too far in the conditions.

Anybody ridden out a NE (near) gale by Sark for example?

Bathdave

Visit site
First time here - and Victoria marina is very busy and rafted due to the strong wind forecast for the next few days.

Trouble is the winds are varying between North East and Easterly so shelter is poor. For 6 hours in each 12 the boats are getting pasted with swell coming into the inner harbour when rises above the cill.
Tomorrow according to XC could be over 40 knots overnight so could be even worse.

Any options? Alderney is out, both no shelter and not to get to. Jersey also probably too far in the conditions.

Bathdave

Visit site
Havre Gosselin on SW corner of Sark , just next to Brechou, is well tucked in and I have ridden out a strong NE there...20 rather than 40 though

.there are a handful of mooring buoys there, but a rocky bottom makes anchoring risky if no buoys free.

KAL

Visit site

I wonder if Beaucette might be an option? Entrance faces E, but there's a dog leg which should serve to break the swell? Worth getting a bus up there to have a look...

dunedin

Visit site
Yes, wondered about that or Grande Grave

Looking at tides though is not encouraging - can only get out of StPeter Port near high water - when tide is running fast towards NE, potentially creating major wind against tide issue in Little & Big Russell channels in strong NE winds.
Looks like would need to wait on outer pontoons for six hours to get slack - and then out of options if Sark it suitable

dunedin

Visit site
I wonder if Beaucette might be an option? Entrance faces E, but there's a dog leg which should serve to break the swell? Worth getting a bus up there to have a look...

Considered that - all the pilot books say to avoid the entrance in strong onshore winds - and even if get in, sounds like may be gets surge inside in NE weather anyway, so ay not be any better to be worth the risk
(That is all a paper based view from reading the books - but Sir Tom C tends to know his stuff, I would guess)

djs

www.uniquesolutions.co.uk
Grand Greve SW sark would be sheltered in those winds. Worth checking whether the path up the cliff is open.
On Guernsey south Coast Petit Port should be very sheltered.
Or run away to Jersey.
Hope you work something out. All the best

guernseyman

Visit site
Havre Gosselin on SW corner of Sark , just next to Brechou, is well tucked in and I have ridden out a strong NE there...20 rather than 40 though

.there are a handful of mooring buoys there, but a rocky bottom makes anchoring risky if no buoys free.

NE winds are difficult in the CI. And Havre Gosselin is no exception. One might expect it to be sheltered in a NE wind, but somehow the wind manages to descend and make the moorings unpleasant.

The shelter in the QEII Marina is better than the Victoria Marina, but I doubt if there is room for all the visiting boats that might want to move.

KAL

Visit site
Didn't know QEII was ever an option. Thought it was for locals only...we often come for a couple of weeks at a time and a slot in there would be wonderful. The harmonic rocking in Victoria, set up by the Condor, can be quite alarming, but the high speed antics of some visitors as they enter and leave berths is even more so!

NDG

Visit site
Anchorages on s coast are v sheltered in winds with no south in them. Forget their names but I would head off on a bus to check them out first then head there if they look ok.

dunedin

Visit site
The harmonic rocking in Victoria, set up by the Condor, can be quite alarming, but the high speed antics of some visitors as they enter and leave berths is even more so!

If only it was "harmonic rocking" when the ferry goes.
It is 5 hours in every 12 of constant bashing from waves coming straight through the entrance. Not huge waves by the time they reach us, but 12 inches plus in an enclosed space alongside pontoons or other boats ain't nice, it is boat damaging

Sailfree

Visit site
You live and learn every day!

Been to CI about twice a year for last 15 yrs and stayed at St Peter Port at least twice ever year and a few time due to bad weather. Never had a problem then yesterday a neighbour bertholder mentioned how uncomfortable SPP can be in NE or E strong winds which was news to me! Now this thread!

Obviously the high winds we have sat out were W or S!

Angele

Visit site

Been to CI about twice a year for last 15 yrs and stayed at St Peter Port at least twice ever year and a few time due to bad weather. Never had a problem then yesterday a neighbour bertholder mentioned how uncomfortable SPP can be in NE or E strong winds which was news to me! Now this thread!

Carteret would probably be nice in those conditions, if it weren't for the 30 mile beat to windward to get there. :eek:

In those conditions, as NDG says, I would be tempted to go and anchor off Petit Port or Icart (both on the south coast), but you might want to check them out from land first.

longjohnsilver

Visit site

We were on one of the swan pontoons a few years back and it got so rough that an owner of an Island Packet spent several hours trying to keep his boat from bashing the pontoon, as his boat rose and fell hall his fenders would ride up onto the pontoon. We were too busy trying to keep our boat from doing the same to provide assistance to him. Oh, happy days......

Now we would run for Beaucette if that sort of weather (strong easterlies) is forecast.

dunedin

Visit site
Thanks all for your help. Does sound like the best option in North Easterlies are the bay's to the south.
Coincidentally we walked round the cliff path there yesterday and they did look sheltered - but not a single boat there.

Fortunately the really helpful harbour staff managed to find us somewhere more secure so our immediate problem resolved.
But still a lot of boats bouncing around and into each other

Thanks again for your help

Mudisox

Visit site
NE winds are difficult in the CI. And Havre Gosselin is no exception. One might expect it to be sheltered in a NE wind, but somehow the wind manages to descend and make the moorings unpleasant.

The shelter in the QEII Marina is better than the Victoria Marina, but I doubt if there is room for all the visiting boats that might want to move.

Shhhhhhhhhhh don't tell everybody, best place in Guernsey.

ip485

Visit site
Considered that - all the pilot books say to avoid the entrance in strong onshore winds - and even if get in, sounds like may be gets surge inside in NE weather anyway, so ay not be any better to be worth the risk

View attachment 52082

I would be surprised about much surge inside. Its very well protected with the dog leg in and shoals around the entrance.
Being within the old quary the walls are high so little wind buffet.

I cant comment on the approach in these winds because I didnt experience them, but they are so friendly there and will, I am sure, know very well. They are very good at answering the 'phone.

The entrance is interesting in a 55 foot yacht but not really much of a challenge.

We loved it there. Shh