GRP hull repair around Lefkas?

Cardo

www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk
So we can't decide what to do. Ideally, we want to forge ahead, but I've stuck the GoPro in the oggin and seen the crack from the outside. It looks... concerning. I'm about to hop into the drink and have a look for myself, but figured I'd post this before I get all wet.

What are recommended places around this part of the world? Google reveals a few places around Lefkas. Obviously, we'd need a lift out. I'd rather not head all the way back up to Preveza. Are there any decent boatyards that will be able to assist, for hopefully not a King's ransom?

Cardo

Having now gone for a swim, I'm feeling better about it. I have a feeling the crack itself has been around for a while, I just didn't recognise what it was. It's also not visibly bigger on the outside than it is on the inside, which makes me feel better. I had been advised by a fellow Southerly owner that it could be considerably larger on the outside.

We've decided to crack on and we'll get it sorted in Kalamos.

GAJ

Visit site
Go to Les, he is second to none, I have worked with him. We repaired my Beneteau together when I had to fire off the incompetent idiots at Levkas who were incapable of doing the standard de-laminated keel structure repair.
To be sure if you can see a crack then it extends well beyond the visible area, crack detection fluid and a grinder are called for.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I saw some repairs being carried out to a Bavaria on Ios. They'd whacked the bow into the quay because the throttle had stuck wide open. It'd knocked a hole the size of a football in the bow. The 'repair' consisted of filler with no lamination, no cutting back of the damaged area and no reinforcement of the damaged area. Why do I tell the tale? To warn that there are some cowboys out there, so I'd make sure you are dealing with someone who knows what they're doing. A crack is not the whole story: it is rather a symptom of perhaps a larger problem which requires more than just stopping the leak by filling the crack with epoxy putty. Ask why has the crack occurred and what needs to be done to stop it happening again. If other Southerlys have similar problems, the perhaps Southerly are aware of the cause and can help out by telling you what needs to be done to achieve a permanent fix. I suspect that you might do well to bite the bullet and go to Les to have the job done: you'd be dealing with the unknown round the Peloponnese until you get to Aginna.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Read and heed the advice you've been given, Les Wood's a reasonably priced and more than competent Tradesman; always remember that in Greece, indeed throughout much of the Mediterranean there is a special name for competent/trustworthy boat repairers - they're called 'Foreigners', look particularly for the northern European variety.

Cardo

Read and heed the advice you've been given, Les Wood's a reasonably priced and more than competent Tradesman; always remember that in Greece, indeed throughout much of the Mediterranean there is a special name for competent/trustworthy boat repairers - they're called 'Foreigners', look particularly for the northern European variety.

But as per post #3, we're off to Kalamos, not Lefkas, so I'm unable to heed the advice I keep receiving, sadly.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I cant see no point in coming on here for advise then taken no notices of what people are telling you , i suggest the reason people are tell you to go to les ( my self I don't who Les is ) is because all these people know what kind of workmanship there are are these parts and at the same time know Les has a good reputation for his work . example a friend with a 300000 yacht , hole in side by a charter yacht , after given the work to a so called expert in GRP he came back to find a cornflakes card on the inside of the hull supporting a load of filler , good job he came back before the job was finish or he wouldn't had know .
i wish you luck in making it to Katamate in one piece and hope you find someone to do a good job for you , I just hope the next posting we read isn't that you needed rescue .

www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Cardo

I cant see no point in coming on here for advise then taken no notices of what people are telling you , i suggest the reason people are tell you to go to les ( my self I don't who Les is ) is because all these people know what kind of workmanship there are are these parts and at the same time know Les has a good reputation for his work . example a friend with a 300000 yacht , hole in side by a charter yacht , after given the work to a so called expert in GRP he came back to find a cornflakes card on the inside of the hull supporting a load of filler , good job he came back before the job was finish or he wouldn't had know .
i wish you luck in making it to Katamate in one piece and hope you find someone to do a good job for you , I just hope the next posting we read isn't that you needed rescue .

:rolleyes:

rivonia

Visit site

This was my view as well.