GRP And Fire ?

Ben Dockrell 22

Visit site
Does grp warp and break in heat ?

This boat has many wrinkled and rippled grp areas and some that badly protrude standing almost sheer and alone and disintegrated around the storage compartments.

Anyone have an idea what could have done this please ?

sailorman

Visit site
Does grp warp and break in heat ?

This boat has many wrinkled and rippled grp areas and some that badly protrude standing almost sheer and alone and disintegrated around the storage compartments.

Anyone have an idea what could have done this please ?

I watcher Offshore Yachts factory burn to the ground.
the only way to extinguish the boats was to fill then with water ;)

Ben Dockrell 22

Visit site
I watcher Offshore Yachts factory burn to the ground.
the only way to extinguish the boats was to fill then with water ;)

So someone could have horrifically burned to death in my boat or drowned or an entire family ?

YES but they towed it to the marina which demonstates the integrity of the hull is ok ?? :):):):)

Last edited:

oldharry

Visit site
No: if the boat has been on fire there isnt much left. Sounds as if an incompatible coating has been used - or even ordinary paint stripper which attacks and softens GRP. Scorched GRP that has not ignited has blisters and cracks, and soot penetrates the resin as the surface breaks down, so cannot be cleaned off.

Any chance of some pics?

Ben Dockrell 22

Visit site
No: if the boat has been on fire there isnt much left. Sounds as if an incompatible coating has been used - or even ordinary paint stripper which attacks and softens GRP. Scorched GRP that has not ignited has blisters and cracks, and soot penetrates the resin as the surface breaks down, so cannot be cleaned off.

Any chance of some pics?

http://www.ybw.com/forums/album.php?albumid=729

:)

Hoolie

Visit site
I have to say it's the first I've heard of building a boat with concrete asbestos and expanded polystyrene :(

I presume you're planning on stripping all that out and using something more conventional?

prv

Visit site
Your "oil can" is the water trap, part of the exhaust system!

At the moment i have four photos awaiting moderation so should be viewable soon.

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

The item in your current picture, which the caption describes as an oil can, is in fact an exhaust water trap, probably a Vetus one. The "small amount of oil" is probably water combined with old exhaust soot.

Pete

Ben Dockrell 22

Visit site
What's that got to do with the price of fish?

The item in your current picture, which the caption describes as an oil can, is in fact an exhaust water trap, probably a Vetus one. The "small amount of oil" is probably water combined with old exhaust soot.

Pete

I uploaded fresh photos of the grp about 30 mins ago as requested which can be seen in the "grp and fire" thread.

Why was it pertinent to comment "price of fish". whose upset you ? point me in the right direction and i will have a word for you if someone scared you!