Grotty paint on non slip areas; treatment?

pcatterall

Visit site
Hopefully there will be a picture worth 'a thousand words'!
Basically the non slip areas on the deck had been painted blue, someone than attampted to remove the paint and it looks a mess.

Should I repaint blue? but wont the high spots be worn quickly and spoil the appearance?
Should I try to remove all the paint? messy and will I really get it all off.
Should I paint all the areas white?

Recommendations appreciated.
Hope the photo works.

Last edited:

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Jet wash the whole shebang (including the timber, but don't use too much pressure on it) - it's a mess and you won't make matters worse.

Then repaint the nonslip areas in the colour of your choice, using a decent deckpaint. Coachroofs aren't high traffic areas and with a couple of coats down (less than a day's work) there shouldn't be any wear-through for years. Personally I'd avoid white - in the unlikely event of bright sunshine it can get a bit glarey. Both my past and present boats have pale grey coachroofs.

pcatterall

Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Dont like the masonary paint ideas though!! I would be happy to use it on smooth areas to make them 'non slip' but not on a premoulded non slip surface. I think it would be a waste of time and would clog the 'valleys without adding any non slip quality?? Why sand down a good grippy surface? Perhaps the photo isn't very clear?

VicS

Visit site
Both my past and present boats have pale grey coachroofs
Id ceratinly go along with Twister Kens suggestion re light grey.
When I first did mine I used a light silver grey. Smart, no glare. When I re-did it I used a darker grey. Dont like it and it gets hot when the sun shines on it!

Some colours are NLA from International including the light blue and the light silver grey. So check carefully on colours

International's Interdeck has the non slip grit already added but Blakes ( Hempel) does not. You have to add the granules yourself.

Good results reported and low cost by using a masonry paint such as Sandtex as suggested above.

planteater

aboardhippo.blogspot.com
Dont like the masonary paint ideas though!! I would be happy to use it on smooth areas to make them 'non slip' but not on a premoulded non slip surface.

It's almost impossible to prepare the moulded non-splip areas adequately for a good finish. To a degree, it doesn't matter what paint you put on it - it's not going to look great.

For that reason, I went with grey masonry paint. It's cheap and easily refreshed. Works really well.

I'm tempted to repackage a tub of Sandtex into small pots with a cartoon boat on the lid and charge £20 a pop!

Simonpk

Visit site
I concur with Sarabande & Planteater. Sandtex has worked great for me PLUS you can choose a colour that is different from the norm.

Simon

Simonpk

Visit site
Personally I have never had a time when I thought, "this stuff is hurting me knees" and I don't spend that much time down there on them.

Clogging the valleys ? Dunno, but I don't think I'd worry that much if it did ?

Regards

Simon

pcatterall

Visit site
yes I can confirm it; there is a moulded diamond pattern in those parts of the deck!! Perhaps my photo was no good?
I couldnt see the point of using a non slip paint ( sandtex or 'proper' deck paint) just something that will adhere to the existing surface, not too cloggy in the grooves and not too easilly worn on the peaks!
I do like the idea of a light colour and particularly that light grey previously mentioned.
Thanks for the responses, so many have proposed masonary paint that I am confident of its ability to 'stick' to the deck and wear ok. I may go for that but without the sand.

sarabande

Visit site
you can rest assured that textured masonry paint is more than adequate for the task. I had it on the deck for nearly 5 years before it needed a touch up.