Greenland 2015

EspenK

Visit site
Hi

I am preparing a trip to Greenland, for the summer of 2015. Plan is to spend up towards 3 months in total, this will include 3-4 weeks each way from Norway stopping in Shetland, Faroe Islands and Iceland, potentially Scotland on the way back. I am looking for crew to help on parts of the journey, if you are interested in joining for the entire thing then I'm sure we can find a solution :)

The goal of the trip is to experience what Greenland has to offer, this will include time on land trekking, climbing and visiting villages. Sailing experience is not mandatory but experience in the great outdoors including rock/ice/alpine climbing (no hard core stuff!) is a major advantage.

I am Norwegian, based in Oslo but tend to prefer an international crew on the boat. See www.blueboatblog.com (and www.exspaindition.com if you speak Norwegian) for details on previous trips, and send me a PM/email if you are interested in more details.

sampeeter

Visit site
You guys are going on this trip

Ammassalik Fjord Backcountry Ski Expedition: 20th March – 5th April 2015
New Location for 2015. Travelling in by dog sled (maybe snow mobile and boat!) we’ll set up a comfortable basecamp (big heated common tent) from where we’ll explore the great backcountry skiing in this seldom-visited coastal glaciated range, often finishing our descents on the sea ice.

East Greenland Dog Sled Expedition: 27th March – 5th April 2015
East Greenland is one of the few areas on Earth where traditional dog sledding has survived as the most practical way of travel., kept alive by the Inuit hunters who travel this inhospitable area so expertly. On this trip, we’ll set out into the frozen fjordlands, completing a traditional journey whilst learning about this way of life. Georg and the other hunters of Kulusuk love these trips and have asked us to arrange more, so we’re planning on two for ’15. Join us for a real adventure as far from the tourist trails as is possible

brokethebox

... Work on the south coast, lady in Manchester, b
Visit site
This sounds amazing! We're beginning to consider heading north to East Greenland in 2016 and would be very interested to hear how you get on.

For the person who asked about books, i've just bought a copy of the newly updated RCC cruising guide to the north by Andrew Wilkes and it is good, although info about the East coast is not huge

Minchsailor

Visit site
The east coast of Greenland is quite challenging. I know a couple of people who have been there. There is a SW going current from the Arctic down the coast that makes the climate very local for up to about 60-80 miles off - much the same as off Newfoundland. Fog abounds, but more important there are icebergs until quite late in the summer. One person had to heave to for a couple of days as Greenland Ice Patrol could not get an ice forecast as it was too foggy to get a 'plane up to do a survey. Eventually they went back to Iceland. Very few ports - that is why information is a bit sparse.

The west coast is more friendly from about June onwards, August should be icefree up to Disco Bay. There is still the remnants of the Gulf Stream.

The RCC web site has some useful logs: https://www.rcc.org.uk/logs.aspx

Bolla89

Visit site
Hello I'm Davide 25 years old, originally from Sardinia, Italy, and I've beel living and working in Edinburgh since 2012.
I've a little of sailing experience: I've attended a two weeks course in the Glenan's centre of Bonifacio, Corsica; and the Day Skipper tidal in Scotland the last August. Plus some amateur sailing race in the Cramond Boat Club in Edinburgh. I also have the SRC VHF Certificate and I'm a 3 star CMAS diver (equivalent PADI Dive-Master). I hope to attain the Sea Survival course before the end of March.
I'd like to increase my sailing experience as fast as possible to be able one day to find a job as skipper and your idea sounds like a good way to start to me.
I don't have lots of experience in climbing, but I always enjoy discovering new things, and I'm sure anything that keeps me in touch with the nature suits me.
I look forward to hearing from you soon. Regards Davide

Other threads that may be of interest