Green or Yellow Coolant?

Ruffles

www.soulbury.demon.co.uk
...If your tap water supply is hard or high in total dissolved solids it is advisable to dilute the concentrate with distilled or demineralised water or more simply buy it ready diluted....

I collected 6 litres of water from the dehumidifier ready for changing the engine coolant. Got to Halfords and discovered their bargain basement IAT is only available ready mixed. Oh well.

VicS

Visit site
I collected 6 litres of water from the dehumidifier ready for changing the engine coolant. Got to Halfords and discovered their bargain basement IAT is only available ready mixed. Oh well.
Their own brand ?
You can buy it ready diluted or in concentrated form

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but any recommendations on good deals for antifreeze suitable for some old Penta's? For example how about https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/p...&ved=0ahUKEwiX2dDPr7HeAhVKWSwKHQqFA1cQgjYIpwU

To my mind that advert is not using the generally understood terms. It refers to the product being a "longlife" coolant but it is only 2 year change interval, is not OAT and contains silicates. The lack of clarity would put me off buying it but it would be fine for an older engine unless you are looking for proper longlife.

Richard

VicS

Visit site
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but any recommendations on good deals for antifreeze suitable for some old Penta's? For example how about

Note when comparing prices that this stuff is to be used "neat" (100%)

This implies that it is already diluted to the equivalent of 50% of other branded concentrates

Slowtack

Visit site
I installed a new engine last year, yellow coolant specified.
I was advised by the agent not to use a different coolant spec as mixing them can cause gelling in the cooling system.

Heckler

Visit site
I installed a new engine last year, yellow coolant specified.
I was advised by the agent not to use a different coolant spec as mixing them can cause gelling in the cooling system.
And there is the rub! One of the stinkpots on my pontoon spent up to 10k euros on head skims, new pumps etc only to find out that the issue was caused by gelling on the outside of the intercooler which had been rodded on the inside!

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I know it keeps being said but the colour of antifreeze is not a guide as to whether or not it is IAT/Silicate or OAT/Longlife.

I have bottles of clear, yellow, orange, pink, blue and green antifreeze in my garage and the only way to be sure which type is which is to read the label. :ambivalence:

Richard

Last edited: